Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

After a few years in my Tandem Island here are a few places worth looking at in SA.

Firstly, if you want more info or to share an adventure, send me a Personal Message.
Secondly, if you haven't paid the $7 for WikiCamps on your smart phone, do so. A
great app.

Menindie Lakes near Broken Hill. Yes I know it is NSW but they are closer to Adelaide.
I went there on recomendation from the Caravan park manager that Pamamaroo had water
as Mendindie had been partially drained. Free camping was good but the only water was
6" above the mud. Check the caravan park before going or calling in.

River Murray has some delightful spots but most too narrow for much sailing.

Barmera I would recomend Barmera North Caravan Park. Sandy small beach to leave the
kayak in the water and shady grassed sites for $25 per night powered. So why use the
free camping sites around the lake. Lake Bonny is brilliant to sail a Hobie Island.

Kingston on the Murray is an ok caravan park. There is an interesting creek which joins onto
Lake Bonny. About a 3 hour trip and I bent my mirage drive pins on submerged logs. Best
for padling.

Narung on Lake Alexandrina. This is my favourite spot. Free camping with a toilet and grassed area. From here you can sail across the lake which is big enough to not see any land from the middle or follow the channel through the reeds to Lake Albert.

Clayton on Lake Alexandrina. Have stayed a couple of times in the caravan park and the boatman's cabin. Sheltered to keep the kayak in the water. Many places to explore including the River Finnis to the end and then to the Currency Creek winery for lunch. Will be doing it again with a group on 17 January 2015.

Goolwa Caravan Park Noble Avenue. This has a small marina, some 100m from the river via a creek. A nice park with cabins. The brick ones overlook the marina. There is a star dropper in the lawn that you can chain your kayak to. It is a pleasant trip to Goolwa Warf or Hindmarsh Island Marina for a meal at the Tavern.

Brighton Caravan Park. I thought this had closed for development when the permanents were removed but there is no plan to close. It is alongside the Seacliff Yacht Club and a ramp to launch an Island. So if you like kayaking in the sea, this is a good spot.

Garden Island Boat Ramp. I guess this is also a favourite spot. Closest caravan park seems
to be Discovery Park at 349 Military Road. Looks ok. See details on Wiki Camps. This boat ramp has floating pontoons onto Barker Inlet. From here you can circumnavigate Torrens Island (drop the mast if in a Hobie Island), explore the ship wrecks or sail to Port Adelaide for a drink at the hotels.
And if you do this and don't see some dolphins I will be surprised. So it is all sheltered water unless you do the circumnavigation which could be a 4 - 6 hour trip dependant on your power source, weather and tides.

So this is a few of my favourite places and there are others that I hope other South Aussies will add to this topic. I have some photos from some of these spots which are in other topics and would make this even longer than a fusioneng post :lol:

I'm also sure that the Vics, Welshmen and Peanut Eaters will not want to be outdone.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you so much for that information, it is going to be so helpful, we look like being in South Australia around late January, maybe we could catch up for a sail, and I could buy you a beer for all your help. We then intend to go to WA, and work our way up the coast, then to the N.T. Wouldn't it be good if everyone could post a favourite sailing spot in Aus, we have just left South West Rocks, there for five days, another great spot in NSW,
Also, while I'm on the forum, would like to give a big rap to SUNSTATE HOBIE in Queensland, we broke a mast at Iluka, within 4 days we had a new one delivered to our caravan site, these guys are fantastic!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd take care what you promise Lonnie. I hear fourex goes for 5-6 bucks a pop right now. :shock:

And in the summer, those boys can really toss back the coldies!

Have a great trip.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good info thanks Brian.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lonnie wrote:
Thank you so much for that information, it is going to be so helpful, we look like being in South Australia around late January, maybe we could catch up for a sail, and I could buy you a beer for all your help. We then intend to go to WA, and work our way up the coast, then to the N.T. Wouldn't it be good if everyone could post a favourite sailing spot in Aus, we have just left South West Rocks, there for five days, another great spot in NSW,
Also, while I'm on the forum, would like to give a big rap to SUNSTATE HOBIE in Queensland, we broke a mast at Iluka, within 4 days we had a new one delivered to our caravan site, these guys are fantastic!

Lonnie, if you are passing through Forster and want to check out our area, send me a PM and we can get together
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hoping to sail my TI from Morgan to Goolwa in 2015. Thinking April or October would be the best time to do this. Any ideas from the Croweaters. Another good spot to sail the hobie in SA would be around Wallaroo along the coast

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Skipper.
Yes, most of the coast in the Gulfs makes for good Islanding if the weather is good.

I have started to navigate the Murray from Bigera where the Murray is rapids.
We are up to Echuca after a couple of sessions using the TI, Zodiac and a plastic half cabin.

Early in 2015 we may do a boys only from Echuca downstream to see if we can pick up
a good support vessel. A house boat to sell at Goolwa would be ideal but most are out
of our price range.

There was another couple who did the full length. Shane from the
SA Dealer Binks Marine may have their contact details.
Your biggest problem will be lake Alexandrina where you need to be rated for off shore.
Send me a Personal Message if you are interested further.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Looking at Google Earth most of the Yorke peninsula area seems too shallow and risky for hobie-ing. Coffin Bay on the Eyre Peninsula looks like the best spot. Is it sacreligious to attach a little outboard to go down the Murray as lack of wind could be a problem

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I guess you are talking about the lakes on York Peninsula as the gulfs are up to 40m deep.
If so, you are right and many of my trailer sailer mates have done Coffin Bay and rave about it.
It's a place on my bucket list to do with the TI.

Nah, outboards on TI's are brilliant. Just lets you explore more places and go where the wind doesn't blow.
Just don't let anyone on the Hobie Forum know what you have done. :lol:

South Australia Island sailing place update.
Goolwa caravan park on the river has closed down to become a retirement village.
I guess that's where the money is :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Like your outboard set up Changeman. Was the mount custom made and what horsepower is the outboard and how fast do you reckon it would propel you along?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use 4 knots when doing trip planning as I can do that with wind or motor (but not pedal).
It doesn't seem to do much more than that regardless of the throttle setting. Probably due
to the displacement hull design.

I have a cheapie 3 HP I bought off the internet called New Concept, no longer listed as 3 HP.
I drowned it once when I capsized and had to rebuild but it works ok.
I contemplated a Honda like Bob FusionEng as I prefer the air cooled just in case I don't have
fresh water to flush it out. I was hoping it was quieter but Bob said his daughter goes out on
the tramp to get away from the noise so I didn't bother to change. Because of the noise, I
only use it when I have to and love sailing anyway.

I made the mount out of aluminium using countersunk pop rivets and epoxy. Only needed a vice,
cut off wheel in an angle grinder and a hole saw. That was for the extra plate I added so that if
the clamps come loose, the motor doesn't fall off. I also attached a stainless chicken strap which
I padlock to the TI handle (bad luck if you have a 2015 TI) so it would be difficult to steal the
motor. I don't show in the photo four cords I use to tie the posts to the existing pad eyes which
has proven enough to secure the mount. Those post actually protrude slightly out of the bottom
of the hull so that the thrust is taken to the hull and not the cart tubes which can be punctured.

I have mounted the motor on a mates TI on occasion as there is no modification to the hull.
There are quite a few other mounting methods displayed on the forum if you prefer plastic or
wood.