Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Boat in the Fleet
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My new Getaway arrived today.

So much easier to build than a 16! I think we took about 3 hours including reading twice and beering once to get the boat and wings put together.

Tomorrow I glue the mast together and finish rigging. Then start trying to figure out the spinnaker install.
Edit: Not one instruction sheet on mounting the H16 spin kit on a Getaway? There are three spinnaker related PDF's in the H16 section but NOTHING in the Getaway section. Reading the threads on spinnakers and Getaways the lack of instructions is having an effect on sales. It appears that no one grabs the user created instructions from 2010-2012 to make them available either. Hobie could do a better job in support of a $1700 accessory kit.

The tramps are dead easy to install. After reading about issues with them I was prepared for battle but they slide right into position with sailcote sprayed on the bolt ropes and into the tracks.

Assembly instructions could use bigger/clearer photos, but they were plenty complete enough not to make any mistakes.

I have a H16 that is just a bit too highly strung for just sailing about and impossible with 3 (don't even think about 4) adults. We're hoping the Getaway will still be fun to sail with two couples aboard. My wife has already shown more interest in this boat than the she did for the 16. I have high hopes of enjoying her company on the water this season.

We are in Mexico so our sailing season is November to May ...

-2013 H16 #1`13780
-2014 Getaway w/wings,spinnaker,& trapeze

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Got it all done and launched this AM. Took the boat out by myself and really enjoyed it. My 16 is faster and more responsive, but there is no relaxed sailing mode. The Getaway is great for that. The seat/back rests give this old guy plenty of options. The jib tacks easier than the 16 because the jib doesn't hang on the mast. The turns slower so it is about the same overall, just much less stressful.

The breeze built to an occasional white cap and the boat has wonderful manners. Tracks very well and will sail hands off for longer than the 16. Got a hull up for a few seconds and tried the spinnaker too. Everything works great. Only small hitch was one tiller crossarm screw came loose just as I was getting back to the dock. The bungee and clip sort of held it in and I didn't loose it overboard.

Going to loctite the screws into the crossbar.

I started with the main sheet in the middle hole at the clew then moved it to the botom hole to allow a bit more twist.
Forestay in the furling drum two holes and the shrouds 5 holes down. Felt pretty good for a starting point.

Only 17 miles sailed so far but I'm really liking it!

-2013 H16 #1`13780

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hobie Dealer Service.

I want to give a shout out to Veleros in Mexico City. They are a great dealer. They are a pleasure to work work with and after I mentioned that the instructions for the spinnaker kit were poor they did the research and sent the draft copy that was put together by an owner.

I was 20+ years in customer service and I am not easily impressed. The people from Veleros have exceeded any expectation I have ever had from a retail boat dealer. From the initial contact asking if they could help support the boats I already own to the on time and as ordered delivery of the new Getaway they are over and above.

Little things. Every box was opened and inspected before being shipped to me. They put a Spanish warning label on the mast. The sails were pulled out and there is a Veleros sticker on the main ... I don't know if Hobie ships the main with the battens and battens ties in place, but that little task was done for me. Even the owner's packet was checked for completeness and Veleros stickers applied.

Wow ... just Wow

Muchas gracias Jorge!

Saludos
Randy

-2013 H16 #1`13780

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Too Much Fun!

My wife sailed with my for the first time in several years. It was a long day ... almost 7 hours on the boat and almost 50 kilometers in Bahia de Banderas in Mexico (near Puerto Vallarta).

She hates racing ... it was a race.
The start was hours away from our dock.
The wind died with the weather mark less than .5 miles away.

She had fun!

In our Catalina the spinnaker was a "I'm going below" event. On the Getaway she was "This is easy" through the gybes.

When I asked about towing the boat to our summer home ... she said "Why tow it? We should just get a other one." I love that woman!

-2013 H16 #1`13780

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

RHoughVYC wrote:
When I asked about towing the boat to our summer home ... she said "Why tow it? We should just get a other one." I love that woman!

Nice!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Leslie's first time on a Hobie. After last season spending too much time upside down on the 16 ... The Getaway was christened "Twice Shy"

-2013 H16 #1`13780

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

What to do with a too slick tiller extension ... coxcombing? and a couple of turk's head knots to finish? Why not!

Too much? LOL!

-2013 H16 #1`13780

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Took another friend out on the Getaway this Sunday. I increased the rake by pinning the forestay at the last hole. With a bit of help this put the shrouds at the next to lowest hole on the adjuster. Also took some tension out of the spin pole / bowsprit that was pulling the mast forward.

I can too block the mainsheet and use the main clewboard to tune twist. We got some decent angles on the water and the GPS track shows less leeway than I expected. Not as good as my 16 but much better than the first sail. Not real happy with the jib. The leech motorboats and sheeting harder does not seem to cure it. Needs a leech line maybe.

Now we have to play with VMG downwind with the spinnaker.

The boat is a joy to sail and everyone loves it.

-2013 H16 #1`13780