Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone figured out a good way to mount a rod to troll on a Wave?

How cool would that be? I guess the trick would be how to rig it so that it is accessible but out of the way. Wouldn't need a very long rod because you don't need to be able to cast. It wouldn't be difficult at all to strap a fish bag on the tramp.

Post a few pictures if you have rigged up a fishing rod for trolling! :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I guess no takers. I would like to rig up something that projects back similar to the way the cheetah motor mount does, but for a lot less money. I am thinking about using a pipe that runs beneath the tramp, secured to the front and rear bars that hold the tramp, and sticks back far enough to stay out of the way of the tiller. There would be a tee in the pipe to drop the rod into. I wouldn't drop the rod into the tee until I am in deep enough water so that the tiller handle is pulled forward as far as it would go so that the rod wouldn't have to be further back than it needs to be. If I am sailing in the Gulf of Mexico I could put a kingfish lure out. If I catch a king then good, if I don't then I would have been sailing anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The pictures posted by grayton_sailor in the link might give you a few ideas.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/index.php?module=forums&func=viewtopic&topic=13054

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's one thing you just don't see much of (people fishing off small sailboats). I'm out in Sarasota bay pretty much every weekend, many weekends I'll see hundreds of lasers and sunfish out sailing around. Have yet to see a single person ever trying to fish from them. The only ones that I see out there fishing are the kayakers and the island owners, oh and the 35 ft center consoles with 3-5 300hp outboards mounted to the stern.
I'm pretty sure it's against the rules at most yacht clubs to get fish guts on your white shorts and shirt (just kidding).
Bob