Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 80  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Many thanks for the info on posting pics Keith!!
Best Regards
Rod

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Chekika wrote:
Yes, excellent video YakAttaque. No question the northwest, British Columbia, & Alaska are some of the most stunning parts of the US & Canada.

Yak, it looks to me from your video that you were pulling out each day at high tide. Is that correct? In other words you did not have to haul your TI up 10-20' to get it above high tide line. Did you ever sleep on you boat, on the water? Seems that might be tough with the tides changing on the order of 15-20' per tide change.

When your TI was perched on top of that rock 10' above water, did you do a seal launch off that rock?

Keith

My main strategy for dealing with the big tides was to arrive and leave at high tide, which works fine if you time your trip right and have flexibility in your schedule. Vancouver Island had 4 days in a row where I could leave between 8am - noon, the three remaining days were a problem. One night I didn't bother to beach my yak, but shore tide it afloat (I camped ashore). This worked good because of the steep shore (deep) and it was protected from waves. The last night was the only night I had to drag my emptied TI up a beach (a long distance with the big tide). I broke a rudder post on a rock and the front plug broke it's posts (accumulated sand/gravel). Then the next day I had to wait until early afternoon to launch with high tide. This last strategy is not good :cry:

Next summer I'm going to try 2 new strategies:
-Leave the yak afloat with a stern anchor and a shore tie, so that I can retrieve it no matter the tide level, no dragging, no waiting. Vancouver Island terrain lends itself to this because of thousands of deep little protected nooks.
-Sleep aboard at anchor (and shore tie). This will require some ingenuity (like Stringy's cot).

In the Broughton Arch., there are few beaches which makes the usual kayak-style camping a problem, so the locals suggest camping atop rock outcroppings (like in my video). They call it "ledge camping". This worked well when you can arrive/lv on high tide. I didn't do a seal launch :)

I can see the benefit of the easier-to-carry AI if your camping requires hauling up anything more then a couple of feet, so I admit that the TI is not always the best choice for some expedition trips.

YakAttaque

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

YakAttaque,
I've watched your video a few times now. 8)
What an incredible place! So different to what we have here.
That tide variation is amazing:

To end up perched on that rock like that is astounding!
It seems to me that sleeping on board would be ideal for this area as you could anchor in any tide and just go with the rise and fall ...as long as you had enough rope out on your anchor and the seabed was even! :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika - Thanks again for posting that trip report Keith. Look forward to these every year and they never disappoint.

YakAttaque - amazing stuff mate. Great report. I can see where tides like that can add another twist to the success 'or not' of a trip. We had a 2 metre tide once which was something we didn't factor in when setting up camp. We live and learn hey.
P.S. Down this way we also share bear stories. Those koalas can give you a real nip.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
P.S. Down this way we also share bear stories. Those koalas can give you a real nip.

...as can their close relative the carnivorous Drop Bear (thylarctos plummetus)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is just as well that they keep their mouths shut when tourists cuddle them at the many petting zoos around the country. They don't look so cuddly with those fangs showing!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

YakAttaque, here is a typical haul on our FL beaches--very different from your video!
By my rough measurement (rudder lengths), it is ca 5 ft plus from the water to get my dune boat above the high tide line. To be honest, I only haul my boat to barely be above the high tide line--as in this image, my stern is usually in water at high tide. If a rogue wave came in, my boat might be swept out to sea (and me with it.) Of course, I too try to land near high tide or, at least, NOT at low tide. Still, on a week trip, things don't always work out or, you can have fair tides for launching/landing early in the week, but by week's end, the launching/landing tides are not so great.

And, I'm much older than you. Nothing I can do about that either.

The bottom line is that I'm going to have to find some way to haul my AI above high tide line, or it is going to limit how much more AI camping I can do. This is why I've been opposed to using a Tandem for camping--too big, too heavy, and unnecessary. I have enough trouble hauling my AI up/down these beaches. I just finished a camping trip which emphasized that I'm going to have to take my own advice and "downsize, downsize, downsize!!"

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy - Why do you think I prefer sleeping on board away from trees. Those fangs will go straight through the roof of the hammock.

Chekika - I know it doesn't fit into your 'downsize' theory Keith, but could one of these help get the loaded AI up above the high tide line. OK, you'd need a tree or oversized travelling companion to attach the other end to. I've never seen one used for this purpose but by stripping it down to it's necessary components and replacing the heavy hooks with smaller D shackles and lighter handle etc, it could possibly help. There may even be a lighter version out there.

Last edited by Slaughter on Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Or you could do what we did when we arrived at Broughton Island at the bottom of a six foot tide. We set our anchors up past high water mark, and then periodically floated the TIs up to the new shore line, eventually tying them off.

We left on a highish tide, but sliding a TI downhill wouldn't have been too big a problem.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

[quote/]
The bottom line is that I'm going to have to find some way to haul my AI above high tide line, or it is going to limit how much more AI camping I can do.
Keith[/quote]

Keith, have you tried a cart to carry?
I would think a Hobie heavy duty kayak cart would go a long way towards moving the pre-2015 AI fairly easily up or down a beach. Install while in the water either from reaching down under the kayak or outside the kayak while standing in the water. As long as the sand is slightly firm or packed, light rocks even better, it works very well and easy to store in the scupper holes on the water.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I too like the idea of a cart, but probably with balloon wheels for soft sand.
Slaughters winch option in combination with a sand anchor/anchors should also work. I've used those ratchet type winches which are designed to drag cars etc. They are very slow and don't have a long cable. A better option may be to use a boat trailer winch fitted with webbing. I think the tricky bit would be anchoring the winch in soft sand. Some type of ground anchor would be needed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
Stringy - Why do you think I prefer sleeping on board away from trees. Those fangs will go straight through the roof of the hammock.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
You know there was one of those Drop Bears in a tree in the park where we left our cars at Port Stephens last year.
I gave it a wide berth! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
Slaughters winch option in combination with a sand anchor/anchors should also work.

I wonder if a couple of blue sand screws would to dig in enough under the load of the AI :?:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't reckon so Slaughter, they don't look strong enough. to get a really strong anchor point you would probably need something like a star picket driven 3 feet into the ground (alright, maybe a little less than this! :D :D )

Just as a brainwave right out of left field... has anyone taken a length of plastic sheet and slid their Island along it? I suspect this would result in far less friction on sand at least. Such a lump of plastic could easily fit inside the hull when rolled up. Just sayin'

(not much joy for YakAttaque and those incredibly rocky shores but - sorry)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, Gentlemen!

A scupper cart is certainly a possibility, but... (1) I don't have a scupper cart--I've always been worried about damaging the scupper holes. (2) I'm not sure where I would store it, being fully loaded for camping. (3) Coming into some of these beaches, there are large shallow flats in front of them--how much water do you have to have under the boat to put a cart in? Bottom line, I should probably get a scupper cart, and try it a few times to be comfortable, before taking it on a camping trip.

Waiting for the tide to lift your boat is problematic because these beaches are exposed to the Gulf of Mexico weather. There are no beaches in tucked away coves--coves hold muck, bottomless muck, here in the Everglades. On our recent trip, high tide occurred past midnight--not my favorite time to be hauling a boat up a beach. Besides, mosquitos are often thick after sunset.

The come-a-along winch is interesting. I've considered a z-pulley system (z-drag) but it is a bit messy with ropes, carabineers, etc. A light-weight (read cheap) winch with the steel cable replaced by a mesh strap, and large hooks replaced by something lighter, that might work. Anchoring it with a couple 14" circus tent stakes might do.

I definitely need all the advice I can get. I bought the AI about 7-8 yrs ago to extend my kayak camping, which Nancy and I love to do. It has definitely done that, but now I need help with this little problem of getting my boat above the high tide line, especially on solo trips and especially with the heavier 2015 model. Nancy says she does not want me to do solo trips anymore. That would solve the problem, but I'm not sure I like that idea. I don't have any friends in the S FL area who can go on weekday trips at the drop of the hat. Plus, I move my dates around to fit the weather (give me wind, lots of it!)

Those drop bears might give me pause doing solo trips. We only have pythons, alligators, and crocs--they don't drop out of trees unexpectedly.

Tony--when finished writing this, I saw your post about putting down a plastic strip. Yes, that is an excellent idea. People doing the Everglades Challenge--no outside help--use rollers...anything from inflatables, to boat fenders, and pool noodles. On our camp trip this past weekend, Nancy & I used auto floor mats--we already take 2 along to use at the entrances to our tent. No question these mats ease the slide.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 80  Next