Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My first hull was so badly deformed that it would not track in a straight line. My dealer gave me a new boat. The new boat developed a big split in front of the pedal well and both of the dog support posts broke in two. My dealer gave me a new hull. The new hull dog support posts have now broken after 4 months. I am very gentle with machinery. None of these hulls could be described as smooth. All had humps and bumps. I opened 3 at the dealer the last time and picked the one that looked the best, but it had humps and bumps too. WHATS UP! Can Hobie make a boat that does not break. Am I the only one with these problems? When the warantee period is up am I just going to be stuck with a $2000 boat that is no good?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Been there done that. I am also on the third Adventure hull but went to a different dealer who is extermely knowledgeable: my hull problems have been solved by getting a new hull directly from hobie within the last month. Hobie has beefed up the well area with a brass plug and more plastic and longer SS bolts in the "dog" tubes. Hobie has sent out repair kits for these problems but the kit is only good for boats that haven't self destructed.

It sounds like your forward well has cracked and the hull is probably taking on water ( several gallons/hour?) and the tubes for the dogs have bent and split. If that is the case either the dealer will make a detailed repair or you will need hull #4. If you go for #4, make sure you get the newer beefed up hull rather than old inventory your dealer may have.

As far as humps and bumps:that is the nature of the rotomolded beast!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks mucho. I am going to get a new hull tomorrow and will insist on a number 4. Do you ever wonder how much testing is done? All of my hulls have failes withing 10 hours of peddle use.

Post subject: Replacements?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:34 am 
Site Admin

If I understand correctly... sounds like all of the replacements came from the dealers stock... all older production. Same colors? Not retrofitted with the longer bolts and drive well insert? That may explain multiple failures.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

correcto-from stock- no retrofit that I can tell. Two sand, one mango. Should I insist on a type 4 hull as the other gentleman suggests or will you send me retrofit kit?

Post subject: Hull or retrofit?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:36 am 
Site Admin

Your choice. I would think you are certainly due a current replacement hull.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Uh, since I am interested in two Adventure Islands, and these are the hulls we are talking about, right? Did you mean 'Hull # 4" as in hes already broken three of them and this is the fourth, or is #4 a Hobie designation?

If they have made changes to the design, wont the new hulls have something in the nomenclature that distinguishes them from earlier batches?