Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I read some of the previous posts regarding hull delam repairs and know how to do it, but I was curious to know if anyone had ever used "Boat Yard Fiberglass Resin" by Evercoat Marine? I know that West Systems is the best, but I'm guessing that my hulls will take 2 quarts of the stuff (since so much of the area is soft) and that'll put me in the neighborhood of $80-$100. And the Git Rot stuff is even a bit more expensive. So, I picked up a gallon of this other stuff for $20 at Boater's World. Of course, nobody there has any better clue of how to use the stuff than I do (most of the time they simply read aloud the directions from the can to me. "Thanks, that was very helpful." :roll: )

I'm just concerned that this polyester resin will harden too quickly or that it won't harden at all without the proper matting. And advice? Thanks!
-Mark

Post subject: Which resin?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:04 pm 
Site Admin

I prefer the Git-Rot because it is somewhat flexible when hardened. Some resins will be too hard and crack when loaded or when you step on the deck.

You might be surprised at how little resin is used with the injection repair. It is like pages in a book. There is little gap between the layers. You can force the layers apart by injecting too much resin and it will not be as strong. I might even recommend injecting a number of areas in a pattern that can pre-bond the layers so the lower (inside) layer doesn't sag as much while doing the major amount of injecting.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is the West Systems resin flexible like the Git-Rot? I had planned on injecting the resin in a few strategically placed holes on the hull tops. Thanks for the reply!
-Mark