Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 50/200 transducer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I might be possibly upgrading to the newer style PA here in the next couple of weeks and I have a question that I can't seem to find an answer to. I need to know if the 50/200 lowrance skimmer transducer is compatible with the "lowrance ready" system on the PA. I remember hearing somewhere that it isn't but I'm not positive.

Post subject: Re: 50/200 transducer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
It is very important for your selling staff to be aware that all Lowrance Transducers do not fit in the cavity that is built in to the Pro Angler 12 and Pro Angler 14. One of their new, top-of-the-line offerings, Model #50/200 + 455/800 HDI Transducer, is too large (the mounting tongue is too long, and the width is too wide) to fit properly. While Hobie does not sell this model, it is popular with anglers fishing deeper water, up to several hundred feet, so we have started to get customer feedback on this issue.

Lowrance regrets this situation and is in the process of creating a custom transducer with the same features and benefits that will fit the cavity, but this will take some time to develop.

All of the Lowrance Transducers that Hobie includes with our Fish Finders do fit in the cavity. The Lowrance Transducer, Model # 83/200 + 455/800 HDI, which is included with our Elite 7 HDI Fishfinder, serves the needs of 95% of anglers.

Additionally, the Structure Scan Transducer, which is a side-scanning transducer that reads off the sides of the vessel rather than straight down so the anglers can see which side of the vessel the fish are on, is very large and does not fit in the cavity. This model always has to be mounted on the boat in a spot that is free of obstruction, as it wouldn’t read through plastic even if it did fit. We are working on a solution to mount this to our kayaks, but for the short term, an over-the-side arm mount or the RAM mounts that attach for off-the-stern placement are two options for attaching the Structure Scan to a Hobie Kayak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for responding but that still doesn't answer my question. The transducer that I want to use is just a regular 50/200khz transducer for my HDS not the 50/200 455/800 HDI ducer'. If the transducers are the same size I guess that answers my question but if they are not will it work.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That is the same transducer that I have for my HDS-5. It fits the pro angler in the lowrance ready spot.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Pretty MAJOR oversight! Apparently only one of the two transducers for the Lowrance HDI units actually fits in the "Lowrance Ready" cavity. Oh and the cables don't fit through the plug Hobie provides either. The plastic connection nut will need to be destroyed or ground down with a dremel drill. I paid extra for the 2014 model with the Lowrance ready capabilities now I'm either back to the drawing board or stuck with a 15% restocking fee on my $400 Lowrance unit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:49 am 
Site Admin

Yeah... unfortunately Lowrance doesn't consider us when coming out with new transducers. They helped us develop the Lowrance ready feature a few years back and had promised to keep tranducers compatible. C'est la vie.

We recommend mounting the larger tranducers within the hull like we always did before. You lose only a small fraction of image and get a less accurate water temp, but it works very well.

I have heard that cables can be run in the opposite direction in some cases to overcome their larger nut issue.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

jwallison81 wrote:
Pretty MAJOR oversight! Apparently only one of the two transducers for the Lowrance HDI units actually fits in the "Lowrance Ready" cavity. Oh and the cables don't fit through the plug Hobie provides either. The plastic connection nut will need to be destroyed or ground down with a dremel drill. I paid extra for the 2014 model with the Lowrance ready capabilities now I'm either back to the drawing board or stuck with a 15% restocking fee on my $400 Lowrance unit.

I mounted an Elite-5 on a 2015 PA14 today. Easy. Transducer fit fine. No, I did not have to Dremel/destroy the plastic connection nut. It's a tight fit, yes, but the thru-hull nut did fit over the Lowrance connector. With the newer Lowrance units, there are separate Transducer, NMEA, and Power cables. Where all three must pass the Hobie Thru-Hull Connector at the head unit, indeed there is no perfect grommet in the kit. I figure that's why we have clear silicone sealant.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have the Elite 4x DSI with a 455/800 transducer. Will it fit ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey All,
Just ordered yesterday a hds 7 for my new 2015 pa14 and are you saying it has to have 2 transducers,it supposed to be coming with the 83/200 I think.what would the second transducer be for?I have a hummingbird 597 ci hd di on my 2014 and just wanted to upgrade to side scan?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

HDS units come with 2 transducer if you order the StructureScan bundle. 1 transducer is the normal 2d sonar that does 83/200 or 50/200 (depending on what you pick). This fits in the Lowrance ready area. The 2nd ducer is the LSS1(gen 1 HDS unit) or the LSS2(gen 2). The LSS ducer has the down and side imaging crystals. The LSS1 / LSS2 will not fit in the Lowrance ready area.

Gen 1 HDS does not have the ability to interpret the side/down imaging without the separate black Structurescan box / module. Gen2 does not need the extra black box as the units are structure scan ready(meaning the ducer plugs directly into the unit).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks,that just changed my mind about the hds,was not in stock anyway.the bird is looking better all the time,cheaper and only 1 transducer