It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That set up looks really nice!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks !
It was helpful seeing what others have done so I wasn't reinventing the wheel. The bunks are very adjustable including vertically with spacers if needed. It will be interesting to see what their final position will be after I get the boat.
- Chris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you for all of your replies. I don't think what I have seen so far will work. I am really just looking for something really cheap that I can build, would support most of the TI so there is no bowing and have the ability to get it off the ground by about 2 feet so that I can mess with it over the winter setting it up. I have seen the Harbor Freight folding metal stands with the chain. Even though they are rated for 200# they look really skimpy. The price is right at $20 and I would probably need 4 units so a total of $80. I am sure there is someone on this forum that built something out of PVC and works great. I priced out a rectangle with cross supports that would be about 4 ft long. I think 3 would work and that would run about $50 per unit so $150 total. Any other thoughts/ideas?

I do appreciate all of the responses so far. Dom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't think you could make it any cheaper than with lumber and pvc bunks. You could put it all together with steel lumber connectors but I would use pocket hole fasteners. I would make it 10 ft. long since that's the standard length of pvc and a common size for 2x4's. Might as well make it as long as possible so you can store stuff below on a piece of plywood across the framework. Screw 2-3 cheap caster carts from Harbor Freight on the bottom for wheels.
- C

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

domsilla wrote:
Thank you for all of your replies. I don't think what I have seen so far will work. I am really just looking for something really cheap that I can build, would support most of the TI so there is no bowing and have the ability to get it off the ground by about 2 feet so that I can mess with it over the winter setting it up. I have seen the Harbor Freight folding metal stands with the chain. Even though they are rated for 200# they look really skimpy.
Just a FYI, they are made out of 3/4 inch zinc coated steel and not aluminum tubing. Not at all skimpy The price is right at $20 and I would probably need 4 units so a total of $80. I am sure there is someone on this forum that built something out of PVC and works great. I priced out a rectangle with cross supports that would be about 4 ft long. I think 3 would work and that would run about $50 per unit so $150 total. Any other thoughts/ideas?

I do appreciate all of the responses so far. Dom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Salty Dog, thank you for that information. I have a Harbor Freight not that far from me and will check them out. Thank you again for all of the responses.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

After telling me it would be two more weeks before my TI arrived my Hobie dealer called Friday and said the boat had arrived. I got to road test the trailer I had built and pick up the boat all in the same day. To my relief the trailer is pulling very well and the TI loaded onto the pvc bunks with no problem. I removed the new scupper drains during pick up and don't intend to replace them. They are easily removed after taking out two screws and unhooking the bungee from the seat well part of the assembly.
Saturday I took the boat to lake Travis and had my first opportunity to unload and load it alone. Having the cart mounted at the back of the trailer seems to work well but I need to find the ideal spot to strap it to the hull when I unload. It was a blustery day with 15-25 mph gusty spring winds reported. Not the best day for a novice sailor on a shakedown cruise but other than a couple of scary moments all went well. I didn't have a problem with water accumulation in the seat wells. What little water came over the side just drained out as you would expect. I don't have a waterproof camera but here are some pics of the boat on the trailer.

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

An additional detail I hadn't posted previously showing what the cart cradle sits on at the back of the trailer. It's two pieces of 3/4" rubber stall mat with more pieces forming a V shaped notch that the cart axle nests into. There's an additional 1/8" pvc spacer that brings the cart up almost to the bottom of the hull when the boat is pulled out to the rear seat. The stall mat is glued together with polyurethane glue and attached to the trailer with 10-24 screws and fender washers.
The stainless steel pipes extend into the handle sockets on the cart and lock it in place with 1/4" lynch pins.
Chris

Last edited by Buckaroo on Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice setup!

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks really good! Hope your enjoying the new boat.

I hope to get my trailer finished this weekend - ready for the galvanisers.

Brad

"Kayaking Bob" Spray Skirts
Trampolines

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I made some adjustments to the bunk spacing on my TI trailer today and took some measurements of the scupper line spacing that might be useful to others.
The measurements are from the bow, the first number is the distance from the bow stop, the second number is the bunk spacing needed at that distance.

56.5" (mast), 9"
72" (forward drivewell center), 10"
129.5" (rear drivewell center), 11.5"
176" (rear cargo deck scupper holes) 10.5"

I have also modified the bunks and they are now in three separate sections with the forward most section rising toward the bow stop of the trailer. The middle section is only separate because I cut the couplings off of the rear section to get rid of the flare in outside diameter.

Chris