Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

i had my hull replaced because of a crack in the drive area. i was very pleased in how hobie handled the replacement. hobie stands by their products.

cracked hull,

how did the crack happen? are you using turbo fins? my first question is how did it happen or did it just happen? if both your yaks have a crack, the odds are low it would be from a bad hull design most likely user error. just thinking in math terms...

fixing it... i used conduit pipe (about 2 inch length) in half with 3m 8010NS all around the cam area. i did this to prevent it from cracking in the future. i use turbo fins and was concerned about my 2008 revo cracking. so i beefed it up big time. additionally, i used the 8010 ns around the cart holes and the seat pegs with a conduit coupling. NS is the stuff to use. it will stick vertical. i used 2 tubes for the drive area and 1 tube for cart/seat area. i would think this would fix your crack and prevent it from leaking. this stuff is super strong.

good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

popeye wrote:
i had my hull replaced because of a crack in the drive area. i was very pleased in how hobie handled the replacement. hobie stands by their products.

cracked hull,

how did the crack happen? are you using turbo fins? my first question is how did it happen or did it just happen? if both your yaks have a crack, the odds are low it would be from a bad hull design most likely user error. just thinking in math terms...

fixing it... i used conduit pipe (about 2 inch length) in half with 3m 8010NS all around the cam area. i did this to prevent it from cracking in the future. i use turbo fins and was concerned about my 2008 revo cracking. so i beefed it up big time. additionally, i used the 8010 ns around the cart holes and the seat pegs with a conduit coupling. NS is the stuff to use. it will stick vertical. i used 2 tubes for the drive area and 1 tube for cart/seat area. i would think this would fix your crack and prevent it from leaking. this stuff is super strong.

good luck.

I don't have a cracked hull (yet?) but would sure like to see any pics, if you have any. If not, then more detailed explanation would also be very helpful and greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been seriously wanting to purchase the Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 14 but CH has brought a significant issue to light. Cracking hulls. Faulty materials/processes or not, I can't afford to travel 2-3 hrs to a dealership to fix a common problem even with the new Hobie designs. After googling leaks related to this issue, I found they are common to the Revo, and Outback. Pro Angler??? I don't know. 2 yr Hull warranty......check. Someone tell me I'm it's worth the money and risk?

WT

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

wtmoss....what you don't hear about are the thousands of Hobie owners who have never had a problem......I bought 2 Outbacks in 2010 for my son and me and then last year, I bought a 2013 PA-14.
We have not had any issues with all 3 Hobie's purchased or personally know of anyone who has leaks, etc.
I can tell you from participating in the Hobie Forum since 2009, Hobie really stands behind their product.....IMHO, they have gone the extra mile in hull replacement.
The Hobie Mirage drive is unique and is the reason I sold my 18' Jetcraft......I have since spent more time fishing while getting a good cardio exercise at the same time....that is a win-win in my book :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

having joined fairly recently.... never really saw this thread... but personal experience speaking... I ended up with an Outback that had a leak in the MD well.... (think that's why I got it so cheap) older boat and the leak wasn't that bad... and I'd actually bought it for my son-in-law to use... tried a couple of different things and finally went down to the local dealer... he gave me a couple of those repair rods and I had a heat gun with a very small tip.... I carved out a little larger area and fed about 2 and a half of those sticks into spot... had to get the spot and surrounding area pretty mushy... molded it a little with my finger and haven't had an issue in 2-3 years with it.

I have been with Hobie for many years and have had no problems with my Revo, or heard anything bad about the PA... My PA is holding up fine... third owner... don't think it's a common problem but guess things happen....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:24 am 
Site Admin

wtmoss wrote:
After googling leaks related to this issue, I found they are common to the Revo, and Outback. Pro Angler???

Likelye you found references from many years ago. This is not at all a common problem for many years now. Most issues were from 2003-2006 or 7. Even at that the number of issues were a very small percentage of our production. We build a LOT of boats.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My Hobie Mirage Sport leaks in both scupper holes. My neighbor has the same problem with hers. We use the Hobie wheels, but never load them onto our kayaks. We lock them up at the docks. We bought our Mirage Sports new from a Hobie distributor in 2013. We recently brought them to a Hobie dealer/repair place in Santa Barbara and paid for them to be repaired. They still leak! I have tried reaching Hobie's main headquarters in San Diego but can't reach them directly. Obviously these leaks are a common problem. Hobie claims the kayaks have a small hole there to first create the mold. Then they are supposed to be filled at the factory. Are they using inferior glue? Are they filling the holes improperly? Maybe they aren't filling the holes at all! Anyone out there have any ideas? We're close to drowning here!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The leaks are in the scupper holes-not the hull. The hull is fine. Hobie says the kayaks have a small hole in the scupper hole in which they create their mold. Then they seal the hole. Could be faulty glue or they miss closing those holes. The posts of the Hobie wheels fit into the scupper holes which might have created a stress on the sides of the scupper holes. (We only bought Hobie wheels.) Our kayaks have been taken to our local Hobie repair shop but haven't been fixed. And we paid to have the holes repaired! Hobie is not standing behind its product. Got any suggestions? And to all of you following this>>>we still love our Hobies! We have seven on our street.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ventura:
I have owned quite a few hobie kayaks over many years and have needed to repair my boats from time to time. First off leaks are very rare these days. Hobies continous improvement is pretty darn good. I have had scupper hole damage on several of my kayaks (always self induced). Most of the models have the black re-enforcing sleeves in the scupper holes these days. A possible solution if you dont have the black sleeves in your particular boat is to add your own sleeves. There is a common white pvc pipe available that easily fits over the posts on your scupper cart and the OD fits easily inside the scupper tubes (i found the pvc pipe at Lowes) . What I did was just cut a piece of that pvc tubing and slid it unto each of the scupper holes. To hold the tube in i just gobbed a bunch of clear silicone calk over the tube then jammed it in the hole. Never had another problem. Total cost about $2 bucks, and 5 minutes to install.
Hope this helps
Bob