Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have an old Holder 12 which has accumulated what sounds like a couple gallons of water in the hull (presumably through the mast socket). What's the best way to get the water out? I am considering just drilling a drain hole or two, and simply caulking it/them closed when done. If this is the way to go, where's the best spot to drill? Is there a better option?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:56 am 
Site Admin

Should be a drain in the transom.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt: I saw your note, stomped outside to verify for myself that "this guy doesn't know what he's talking about," and sure enough found the drain in the transom. Feeling chagrined at this moment.

For the benefit of anyone else reading this thread:

I had consulted a manual that I found online and there was no hull drain hole as shown next to the cockpit drain (which definitely had me stumped). When I went out this morning, muttering to myself that there was definitely no hole in the transom, I spotted the drain hole way up at the top of the transom, port side. It is hidden from view under the lip of the deck. Definitely an odd location for a drain, but when I stood the boat up on end water started draining out. Eureka!

Thank you, Matt!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What you're describing sounds like a "vent" hole. Most Hobies have this to allow air pressure to stabilize between the inside and outside of the hull so the hull doesn't over pressurize and pop the deck seam. The vent hole is a small hole, only about 1/8" diameter, and usually located in a discrete place like under the deck lip.

It sounds to me like your boat was manufactured without a drain plug (manufacturing defect). When we had a Holder 12, the hull drain plug was located at the bottom center of the transom, right next to the cockpit drain plug - just unscrew the plug, tip up the bow, and drain out the water. If I were you, I'd install a proper drain plug in the transom. You definitely want to be able to get the water out easily so the hull doesn't absorb the water (which it almost certainly has done already).

sm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:07 pm 
Site Admin

I'd agree. Some went without drains at some point. That location was probably chosen by a dealer or owner, but works!

No vents in the 12 that I am aware of.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought a Holder 12. It appears to be in great shape. It too has water in the hull, and I have found the drain plug on the lower left of the transom. Unfortunately, the water is not draining out. Is there a forward chamber, or another drain I haven't found yet?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:54 am 
Site Admin

Water sometimes got trapped in the area below the mast. Tip up on bow, then side and then get the water aft to the drain. Some drain holes were not drilled deep enough, so be sure it is clear too.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Matt. I inserted a coat hanger into the transom drain in hopes of clearing a clogged drain. It went in less than an inch and hit structure. I'm guessing a horizontal support of some kind. It may not have been drilled far enough as you said. If that doesn't work, do you recommend a installing a drain plug/deck plate somewhere else?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:34 pm 
Site Admin

Classic case of deck to hull bonding resin flowing in the area. Drill deeper... fixed.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)