Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This is a promised follow-up to the (now old) topic:
Lessons from an Ill-Fated Dive Trip
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=53527

as well as a response to some several other topics, such as Keith's AI 2015 capsize, topics about safety lines, and about akas slipping out.
Sorry this follow up took so long, with work and everything, I just got around to getting photobucket set up per Keith's (Chekika) instructions.

I am still using tramps since I haven't settled on a haka design yet, so some of this relates to the use of tramps.

Since that dive trip referenced above, and in reading several other posts, this posts addresses 3 risks regarding my 2014 TI:
1) Aka brace sheer bolt sheers under sail, with the following associated risks:
1a) Gear is on the tramps
1b) Person is on the tramps
1c) The sheered bolt is on the leeward side while sailing on a reach (I think this was Keith's scenario) resulting in a capsize

2) Tramp buckle(s) break with cargo or person on them.

3) Akas slip out of their locked positions (or were not locked properly). This was the scenario referenced in my dive trip report.

I believe I have addressed the three items above using a simple set of cargo straps with a 350 lb working load.

For #1 and #2, I think this mitigates or contends with those risks:
For this, I weaved a cargo strap through the slots where the tramp buckles fit and tightened it down. I tested this with a naive friend on the tramps :D by releasing the aka brace handle to see if it would buckle. The akas gave a little but the tramps held without folding or buckles breaking. I haven't yet tested it under much of a load.

For #3 (which my dive trip made me fear highly, I did this:
Now, I did have to do a little sanding and trimming to open up enough clearance between the knuckles and socket to where the straps would fit in easily, but it works, they can't slip out even a little, and I have more peace of mind.

Anyway, just yet another way to maybe harden. Please point out any problems you see (it's all about staying safe and happy!).

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great Ideas! I will have to try this.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So the Amas won't fold in because weaving the straps to the Trampolines provides diagonal bracing along the aka bar? This might just work. I like the idea.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SeaWorthy,
I think the tramps themselves will prevent the akas from folding in unless the buckles break. I am just going for two types of redundancy for the price of one.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why not use the same kind of strap through the aka knuckles as you did on the tramps ? It would be less hardware. The ones Austin Kayak sells have a piece of webbing under the clamp to keep it from scratching the surface below and they come in a lot of different lengths and colors.

Chris

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've had my AI ama collapse with the tramp on and buckles whole, be it, it was in the surf. Nevertheless it snapped the brace bolt. Luckily, and this may be what saved me, the front aka pulled free from it's locking position. It did role over on it's side. Wasn't a pretty picture. Reminded me to respect the surf. This is called softening the kayak!
8) :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I tend to think you have over-engineered the device for preventing the akas from separating from the crossbar. Kayakingbob's simple use of a line connecting both akas will do the job well IMHO

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Buckaroo wrote:
Why not use the same kind of strap through the aka knuckles as you did on the tramps ? It would be less hardware. The ones Austin Kayak sells have a piece of webbing under the clamp to keep it from scratching the surface below and they come in a lot of different lengths and colors.

Chris

The only reason I didn't use the same kind was that was what I had laying around. I think the clamping straps would work just as well as ratcheting straps.

I started to use 1000# rudder line (can't remember the name) as has been suggested elsewhere on this forum, even bought 100 ft for safety lines. I just ended up preferring the ease of being able to easily tighten the straps - I always end up having a tough time getting a lines the right length or being able to tighten them like I want.