Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Learning to Sail AI
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New to the forum. Considering the purchase of a 2015 AI. Have owned two prior kayaks used for fishing in FL. Oregon seems like it would be ideal for sailing. But, I am cautious as I last sailed more than 20 years ago with a captain who knew what he was doing. Lots of yelling and lots of beer with the new guy on board jumping over the side to push us off a sandbar! It was a lot of fun. But, Im sure the AI is different type of sailing. I asked at a local kayak shop about lessons in how to use the AI and was told that they dont offer the lessons that were available in years past. So, does anyone using an AI have recommendations on how to learn how to safely use it? Should I just save the money and get an outback?
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Learning to Sail AI
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Learning to sail an AI is pretty easy. A few Internet tutorials, a demo from the hobie dealer, and a little bit of practicea nd you should be good to go.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The AI is a vastly superior sailing vessel compared to the Outback.

Buy the AI, take a few hours to learn how to sail it, and never look back. You'll be glad you bought one.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thats the cool thing about the AI/TI boats, if you go out the first few times in really light winds you can still get around with the mirage drives. Open the sail up and see what happens (in low winds you cant get in trouble or capsize. Use your pedal drive and rudder to get you pointed in a desirable direction. If you watch the green and red tells on each side of the sail (tells are tthe little ribbons on each side in the center of the sail) when they are both pointing back means your sailing. Actually in the manual that comes with the boat there are directions on how to sail. It's so easy anyone will get the hang of it within an hour.
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks. It sounds like a blast. I anticipate purchase in late May-June. Thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Rented one in Florida having never sailed before, in about ten minutes I was hopping waves with a nice tailwind. :) Tons of fun and super easy!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

XRayKayaker are you in Oregon? I live in Oregon and I am also a licensed kayak fishing guide. I will have a 2016 Tandem Island coming anyway now, so if you're looking for lessons, let me know. I will be running TI trips targeting salmon in Astoria next summer. I also will be rippin around the Columbia between Portland and Hood River. Talk soon!
Michael Rischer
www.KayakFishingOregon.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I too am an Oregon AI owner. Picked mine up used back in June and have had it out to Hagg Lake a few times to learn to sail. It was pretty easy to figure out and have fun. Looking forward to hitting the ocean with it out of Depoe Bay.

Jammer when are you getting your TI?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

INSAYN wrote:
I too am an Oregon AI owner. Picked mine up used back in June and have had it out to Hagg Lake a few times to learn to sail. It was pretty easy to figure out and have fun. Looking forward to hitting the ocean with it out of Depoe Bay.

Jammer when are you getting your TI?

It's ready to go and so am I!! Let's get out soon Craig? I really can't wait for the Halibut off Oregon coast and Salmon fishing in AstorIa and Columbia River.
WooHoo!!!!
Jammer
www.KayakFishingOregon.com
ImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I prepared a brief treatise on sailing the Islands for a get together one of our local dealers did for the Hobie Island club a couple years ago. If you'd like a copy, email me at [email protected] and I'll be happy to send you one. It certainly won't hurt.