Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: disablity
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We have a hobie mirage revolution.....14 feet long weighting about 65 lbs........due to a auto accident my lady will no longer be able to steer with her left arm.
and cannot lift more than 5 lbs. doctor says she can peddle but cannot paddle. trying to figure out how to make a system that will help insert and remove the peddles..
been wondering if a pulley system would be possible. Also I drive a toyota tundra and finding that I can not load by myself.....i have a roller on the back but can not lift
by myself. any suggestions on either of these two issues

Post subject: Re: disablity
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought a used jet ski trailer to use so that I can launch by myself. I put 2x6 boards across the bunks and carry the kayak on those, strapped down. I load the kayak so the rudder is in the rear and so are the scupper holes. I slide the yak back far enough (right side up) to put the cart through the scupper holes or put it in the water if you are close enough, attach the cart and slide it the rest of the way. Could you leave the drive in before launching off of the trailer? As far as steering, could you put some sort of rod, screwed into the top of the rudder lever that goes across her lap to her right arm with a knob on top. she could use her right arm by moving her hand left or right and the lever would move the rudder lever. Perhaps, use a wooden yardstick or round piece of delrin plastic. hopefully it wouldn't interfere with her knees and peddling. Just a couple ideas.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Not knowing her situation I can't describe a modification for the steering but will try to give some advice. If you go to mcmaster-carr.com you can find all kinds of materials to make a modification to the steering system to move it to the right side. Something like a solid rod end http://www.mcmaster.com/#rod-ends/=xarpe8 of the correct size drilled with a set screw could replace the steering handle on the left side. Then use a control cable like http://www.mcmaster.com/#throttle-cable/=xarraj to take the control lever action under her seat and over to the right side. It will take some solid positioning ends to keep the cable in position . If you look at this and have half a mechanical mind you should be able to come up with something I'm sure. I've made all kinds of adaptations to accommodate my disability on bikes, wheelchairs, my truck, etc.

As for putting the drive pedals in I would think a lever system that has a vertical leg on one gunwale high enough to allow the pedal system to dangle over the hole in the cockpit. With a long lever the drive could be raised and lowered with just your right hand once the drive has been attached. Use aluminum such as the I beam http://www.mcmaster.com/#aluminum-i-beams/=xarvww . to hold the drive you could use something like a clamp to hold the unit while positioning.

Hope all of this gives you some ideas.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry, didn't address your loading problem. What I have done is use a flat strap winch (it is a webbed strap about 2" wide with a hand cranked winch take up found here http://www.mcmaster.com/#strapping-winches/=xas1hj mounted on a piece of plywood with carpet on the bottom. You could then put a short cable attached to the plywood and hooks to the front bumper. The strap goes up, over the car's roof then hangs down the back to hook to the kayak. You could then use a strip of carpet draped down the back and allowing the kayak front to slide up the back of your car as you winch it up. Best idea I have, hope you come up with something that works.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have a Tandem Island with the trampolines, and ofte drive the boat while sitting on the tramps instead of the seats. To be able to steer i bought a small piece of 3/8 dia PVC water pipe and drill two holes in the end and ran a simple rope loop thru the holes to make a lasso. We bought the optional steering knobs and mounted them to the steering (recommended). On our boats its called a hike out stick.
My left wrist is destroyed from an old karate injury and it's difficult to steer with my left hand for very long so on long trips when im sitting in the seat I usually slip the hiking stick over the steering knob, with the Pvc rod laying across my lap I can easily steer with my right hand. Perhaps she can do something similar. (I believe Hobie sells a hiking stick now thats very similar if you don't feel like making your own)
Hope this helps
Bob