Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently purchased our third used Hobie, a 2008 Hobie Oasis for a great price. I had left the Hobie family when I sold our two Hobie Sports to buy a 13ft Gheenoe. What a mistake that was. Besides having to maintain a boat, trailer and outboard, I had the task maintaining the boat and trailer registration along with insurance. Pulling the trailer around the house to hook it to the truck became a dreaded activity which became even more burdensome if the yard was wet. Then I had the unfortunate experience when traveling of trying to find a accomodations that allowed a boat and trailer. Needless to say I have used that whipping stick only a handful times. I missed the days of loading the boat in back of the truck and going fishing.

I purchased another boat from a competitor(starts with"N") who boasted of it's ability to convert from solo to tandem and stand-ability. I still missed the range and speed of the Hobies. So I ingorantly double downed on their peddle drive offering in a tandem. This is were I fell off the cliff. The boat was a PITA. Raising the drive when encountering shallow water took 10 seconds if the prop was aligned corectly. To further complicate matters, a foam block had to be inserted in the drivewell to prevent water from rushing over the top plate and collecting in a non draining hull. When running downwind, the boat would get in death spiral to the right and no rudder correction could fix it. The peddling position was so recumbent that it made casting impossible.

Now I am back where I believe I belong. I do have some questions about rigging and performance enhancements but that is for another post. Right now I am just glad to be home.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good choice (at last :lol: ) - the Oasis is one great boat.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sometimes you have to make a wrong turn to realize it WAS a wrong turn :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Do two wrong turns make a right?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yak4Food wrote:
Do two wrong turns make a right?
No, but 3 lefts do!