Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Family of Kayaks
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I am looking for recomendations on what Hobie Kayaks would be best for my family.
We are novice Kayakers, but experienced Hobie racers. (H-16, H-17, And Tiger. I race with my 14 year old daughter on the Tiger.) So we have lots of time on the water.
We would like to put the four of us into kayaks, myself-200# and5'11"; my wife, nofice on the water; my older daughter, 14 and an athlete; and my youngest, 9 years old and the daredevil of the family.

The only idea I have so far is for the wife, getting a Revolution, based on its decent stabilty and speed. And putting the kids in a tandom.

We will do alot of gedunking around and a bit of fishing. Where we live, Seattle, usually the outing will be a few miles in the kayak.

Any suggestions folks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd suggest you drag the whole family down to the local Hobie dealer and test some of the kayaks out. The kids might like their own boats. Being 9 or 14 years old and having your own kayak would be pretty cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks ronbo613/Waterman at work, seen your posts at KFS.

That is on on the list, I was currios what two kids would like, from someone with kids in kayaks. I am worried that the 9 year old will not be able to keep up when taveling i the kayak.

If I put er with my other daughter they will keep up. I was also concerned about the wife kayaking and not falling back when I WAS GOING TO GET HER A SPORT, but the hobie dealer in his infinite wisdom said I should get her a faster kayak, the Revo.

My basic plan is to keep the whole family happy and together, about the sme pace.
Possibly an Oasis for the girls and two Revos for us.
Does any one agree, or have a beter idea?
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yea Mike, I gotta go along with your dealer. I really like my (wife's) Sport that I now use all the time (when she is not along, natch), but if you both had Revos, your hull speed would be the same and there would be a better chance of you hanging together. And if you're worried about the younger one, having both the kids in a tandem is not a bad idea. But to keep peace in the family--IMPORTANT--have them alternate positions in the Oasis each time out. Just my $.02 worth. Good luck--you will love the Hobies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:14 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi Mike,

Here are some miscellaneous ramblings:

When you go to the dealer, watch your kids closely to see what they naturally gravitate to -- some kids seem to get a charge out of paddling and find pedaling rather boring.

Having three different boats is nice because you can trade around to accommodate speed differences, or occasions where only one or two of you are going out and you have a selection to choose from (BTW, the tandems are also capable single handers) and can accommodate lots of gear, dogs, etc.

Since your family are avid sailors, you'll find the sailing kits great fun and they increase the versatility of the kayaks as well. They won't hold a candle to your cats, but rigging takes all of two minutes and they're amazingly versatile used along with the pedals in light winds or even upwind!

Don't overlook the Sport -- it is light weight, maneuverable, has the fishing trays -- adds a nice diversity element to your "fleet". If you're the fastest peddler, you can put yourself in the Sport and give yourself a handicap!

The Oasis would be a good choice for keeping the kids together and with the group. You can also mix it up with one adult and one child in the tandem and let one of the other kid go solo, etc.

The Revo is the most versatile, and IMO, the best sailor out of the box. On the other hand, the Adventure is the fastest, the smoothest riding, if a little wetter and slower to turn. Somehow, I think your kids might like it (it should be able to accommodate their size). It's my personal favorite as well.

In summary, it would be hard to go wrong with a Revo, an Oasis and either a Sport or an Adventure with a couple of sails! 8)

Post subject: One more note....
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The Sports "nest" on top of each other. We roll ours around 2 at a time on one set of wheels (and they store on edge, double stacked). If my kids were still kids....I would get them a pair of Sports and not worry. Super stable boats and can be surfed on big boat wakes, as well as sailed easily. No fights over who goes where, either.

The problem I see with a tandem for the kids....what happens when the older one starts doing "other stuff" and doesn't go every time. Now you've got a great big boat to deal with and no one wants to float it alone.

I understand that the very fit guys and gals like the longer boats, but after 2-3 hours we all settle down to a pretty similar pace. It's all for fun, anyway!

Have fun!
JimL

Post subject: Re: One more note....
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

JimL wrote:
The problem I see with a tandem for the kids....
I don't know, when my brother and I did a lot of canoeing when we were younger and there some disagreements about who would sit in back and steer, where we should go, etc., so I would just whack him in the head with the paddle and the problems were solved. I miss those family bonding days..............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mike,
My wife is typically in the BigA (she loves the size & the way it cuts through the waves) and myself in an Outback (I still prefer it for fishing smaller lakes). It's no longer a case of waiting for her but rather my working hard to keep up. Both have turbo fins adjusted to the individual yaks. The Revo wasn't available when I bought these or likely one would have been a Revo.

As for kids, mine are older (20ish), but of my four kayaks, the Quest is the one which the kids usually pick 1st & the Sport is usually last -- their not as fond of the pedals so the Quest & Adventure in paddle mode are top picks. For real small kids, 4 > 8, the Sport is 1st pick. With your kids in the middle, I have to agree with previous comments and recommend your hit the dealer with the kids for some test drives. Endurance at the youger age would likely be better with the pedals. I will add that the kids grow quick and youg teens get strong mighty fast.

As for sailing, I have an H-18 and a sail kit mostly for the BigA. So far, I haven't been that impressed sailing the yaks but probably would have been if not for previous experience with the H-18. Admittedly, it's been too strong or too lite when I have tried the sail. The Adventure Island might be a different story but it's unlikely I'll ever drop the cash for one at this point.

One other note, for fly fishing, the BigA is my choice as it tracks great allowing near hands free stalking of the shoreline. Have not tried the Revo. Hopefully, something in this message helps.

.. Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

well we went to the dealer today and it looks like we will get two sports and two outbacks.
The kids really want to be in thier own kayak. The younger one will just grow into the sport. I dont think it will take long.
The wife wanted a really stable yak to just go around in. So I think the outback will work. I wanted a really good fishing yak, and I believe the outback is gonna work out.
I probably pick them up tomarrow, great christmas presents,eh!
Thanks for everyones input it gave me alot to think about.
Mike

Oh ya, any ideas on staking four yaks on a mini van?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mike hensel wrote:
any ideas on staking four yaks on a mini van?

I tried three yaks on top of a SUV once with little success. Instead, converted an old boat trailer to handle four yaks with a poly tool box mounted on the long tongue for equipment storage. Much easier to load/unload and you don't have to unload when you get home or reload before you go. Gas mileage better too.

... Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What I finally came to for hauling my OB and my wife's Sport was the Trailex Trailer. It can easily handle four kayaks, is well built (comes in kit form and has to be put together, however), is very light in weight, and tows beautifully. I also added a truck tool box from Pep Boys.

http://kfs.infopop.cc/groupee/forums/a/ ... 030751/p/1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Apalach, I saw the Trailex info on KFS, what a great web site by the way. I am contacting them to see if they have the SUT 350, a slightly higher capacity as i want to put a few bicycles on it also. And your Forgotten coast site is good too.

I wish i lived in Fla so I had more Kayak fishin buddies around. Oh well there is alway retirementin the future.

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Did you take a look at the AI. I'm a sailor first, kayaker second, and when the AI came out I was first in line to get one. Ever since I got it, both my wife, son, and in laws want their own ones!

As far as carrying them all, I bought an old trailer and built a cage on it using 2"x2" 1/8" aluminum angle so that I can carry my zodiac at the bottom and 4 kayaks on top. I used 3 old rollers from a conveyor belt in line on both the front and aft support so that I can roll all kayaks on by myself.

I still have to finish it with storage for the AI's amas, and add a storage bin on the tongue for all the gear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

xavier,
Sounds like an interesting rig--got any pics??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yep. See http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=5658

It's nowhere quite as creative as some of the mods you've shared ith us, but it's been a fun project and makes it easier to get the whole family to the beach!