Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Barber Hauler idea
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just popped in my head. Probably already proposed here but it is anyway. I purchased a kayak anchor a while back and it came with extra line to put on the side of the kayak. I'm having an elderly moment, and can't for the life of me remember what you call that. Basically the rope was a loop, and had an attaching point at the front, one at the back, and there was a metal ring in the middle of the ropes loop. The anchor line went through that ring, so you could adjust where the boat was attached to the anchor by moving the ring forward or backward.

Anyway, I've seen some haulers made with extra line attached to the sail and the middle of the outriggers. (I'm going to use the word outriggers because I can never remember which is the AKA and which is the AMA). It seems to me this would complicate furling the sail. What if the same concept of the anchor was used for the hauler? I picture the hauler line, with the ring, attaching at the trailing eyelets of the outriggers. the main sheet would go through the ring before attaching to the sail. So all you would have to do is pull on the hauler line to move the ring to one side or the other. It would naturally move the sheet over to the right or left. Plus, If you uncleated both sides of the hauler loop, you could furl the sail without issue.

I was looking at the setup of my Nacra catamaran jib sheet hardware and think that it could be used. I'd be able to cleat the hauler line on either side to keep the ring in place. The only issue I can think of is that the set up would end up pulling the rear of the outriggers in towards the boat and create drag.

I donno, what do you think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Post subject: Re: Barber Hauler idea
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As the akas are not entirely rigid, it is possible for either end of the ama to be raised if tension is put on the o-ring fitting at either end. So if you have a barber hauler attached to the rear of the ama, you will tend to push the bow of it downwards (by lifting the stern upwards).

If you also add sideways tension from a modified version of the "anchor trolley", you will also tend to pull the stern of the ama inwards (although the aka design is better equipped to minimise this).

This is why I prefer to simply cut a notch in the paddle and use it to push the clew of the sail outwards on downwind legs - no extra lines, shackles, o-rings or cleats needed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great advice from Tony.

Because our rigs furl, they don't require travelers for upwind or high-wind performance, so we only need a small assist on the downwind legs.

A basic hauler line (bungees or line/block) is all you really need, one that is easily deployed and REMOVED. Many of us have chosen the Ama handles as the attachment point. I recommend sturdy bungees because they automatically adjust the sail shape in most conditions (no hauling required).

It's no fun having your sail locked on the wrong side when a sudden wind shift gybes the boat, or you are surfing downwind. So I find that simplicity works best here. Without a boom, we can gybe with impunity on our boats and sail dead down wind if we want. It's one of the advantages of the islands, and it would be a shame to impair it.

Whatever you come up with, (hauler, whisker pole, etc) I suggest it's as bonehead simple as possible and has a quick-disconnect feature you can rely on.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Makes sense. I like the notch idea. I think I saw a picture where someone used the cup holder and a PVC arm. What about a hybrid of 3 techniques. Tony's notched oar, the PVC in the cup holder, and a similar telescopic pole like the tiller handle for adjusting.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would try the notch first and later see if you need any further complications.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sound advice. But I have to occupy my brain somehow while not one the water 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

well after reading this thread over and over and have visited west marine many times to purchase the parts to build a barber hauler I am fully convinced the notch in the paddle is the answer

I did some testing this weekend in light winds and the paddle hauler, created significant benefits and the simplicity of it is awesome.

thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here is my simple solution for a Barber Hauler effect for downwind sailing. I can simply reach over and put the sheet line over the hook. The hook is mounted on the aka using a 41mm motorbike indicator fork mount. Tested it out today against another AI with a full Barber Hauler system, and I found that I could keep up with him on a downwind run. Where as before he would leave me behind.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You are a master-modder, Hogman. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hogman,

Love the fork clamp idea, gonna do it myself. Just wondering about your hooks. Did you make them or buy them? Cause I can't find any suitable anywhere in Australia

Cheers

Dan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

"simply" brilliant! - any help identifying parts required would be appreciated

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Adventure_dan wrote:
Hogman,

Love the fork clamp idea, gonna do it myself. Just wondering about your hooks. Did you make them or buy them? Cause I can't find any suitable anywhere in Australia

Cheers

Dan

The hooks are simply a stainless steel bow shackle with one end cut off.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

narwhal wrote:
"simply" brilliant! - any help identifying parts required would be appreciated

Bought the black aluminium clamps on ebay. Harley Indicator mounts Clamp-on for 41mm Front Fork - Black set of 2
The hook is just an altered bow shackle. (stainless)
You will also need to source a stainless bolt to fit. (mushroom head). The nut is hidden inside the clamp, and self locking.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Railblaza has a few components that could do this too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great BH idea Hogman and cutting the end off a bow shackle to make a hook is brilliant! 8)