Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Any advice on transporting four Hobie Kayaks and for bicycles on a trailer.
Oh, it will be towed by a mini van or an RV.
Thanks

Post subject: How about...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If the trailer is long enough for kayaks, it might have room down the middle for the bikes. If the bikes were upside down, the pedals would be high enough to clear kayaks double stacked on each side (outside of the bikes). Bikes could be paired nose to tail, as two pairs down the middle. The rack work gets pretty simple, and the kayaks would sit low.

I used to haul 6 windsurfers and 2 bikes in the same manner. It's a good idea to keep the kayaks low and flat, because you're not going to be very heavy on the trailer. You don't want something that can blow over in the wind. That's the main thing to keep in mind.

Good luck with that project.
Regards, JimL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

When I haul my yaks on my trailer, I just put a bike rack on the rear window of my Golf. (Making sure they don't touch when cornering.)

I got my trailer from these people. http://www.canoekayaktrailer.com/ They have several pictures on their site with different configurations of bike and kayak.

Comes in the mail and takes about an hour to put together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

To solve this problem, I bought a Swagman XP fold-down 4-bike carrier with tongue extension.

It fits in the tongue receiver of my Odyssey, and includes a mount for a 2" ball for my boat trailer.

Now, when I go to my place in the Puger Sound, I can load all bikes and my kayaks or the bikes and my Getaway. I haven't yet modified the Getaway trailer to carry both the cat and the yaks, but I have a few more week-ends before the sailing weather is back in the NW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Xavier, good to hear from someone in the Northwest. Do you come up to the Puget Sound to sail or fish with your kayak. I was just checking to see if you go to the regattas at the varrious locations.
I am hoping to do some kayaking at these regattas also as the sites are great for both sailing and kayaking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm mainly an old "recreational" sailor. I have a place in the Puget Sound which allows me to be on "real" water (i.e. salt water) instead of the rivers we have in Portland.

I typically use the AI in the morning when winds are light or non existent, and switch to the Getaway in the afternoon. I sure wish we had more steady winds! I don't race but may do a couple of week-ends with Fleet 72 or the social aspect in 2007.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here are some photos I took yesterday of the trailer and bike carrier.

The whole rig (with my Getaway in the background). The black tube stores the AI mast:

Trailer with AI on its side (I can put 4 of them side-by-side!):

Rear view with the zodiac at the bottom. I installed 2 keel rollers and 4 wide flaot rollers (same as for the kayaks - see below) so that I can easily winch the zodiac on the trailer:

Detail of the conveyor belt rollers. I used 3 rollers front and aft across the entire width of the trailer so that I can load all kayaks by myself. The rollers come from a discarded conveyor belt I found in a junk store:

The bike carrier with the trailer attached. The bike support can tilt down to allow access to the hatch:

I still need to figure out how to carry the amas and akas (the current system is not secure). I'll probably rig some 1/2 moon cradles on the outside of the frame so that when I get a couple of other AIs for my wife and son, we can carry them all. Just can't wait!