Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TriFoiler Dagger Board
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just got the TriFoiler I bought. It has been rode hard and put up wet - saltwater wet. Spent most of the day, heating chiseling, and breaking the trailer apart. Not much fun. I don't think the original owner ever bothered to rinse this thing after using it in the ocean.

One thing I noticed on this particular boat that I haven't seen on other TriFoilers is a dagger board mounted on the port bow. It's somewhat flimsy and will point slightly to starboard when deployed, but is nicely mounted and would seem to possibly be a factory piece. But I've yet to see one on another TriFoiler.

Do any of you know if this is a custom item or something Hobie offered later in the TriFoiler's production life? Thanks. Now back to rust busting.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 'Lee-board' was a factory item - and re-trofit to older boats that didn't have one - this helps the Trifoiler function better in non-foiling conditions - without the board deployed it's nearly impossible to control the boat... Trifoiler obviously works best when in an open area and 'On' the foils - so in winds over 12mph are so with 1 person or 15 with 2 people

You'll love the Trifoiler - it's a real blast!!!

Send your info and boat # to [email protected] he keeps track of them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I plan to find out, provided I can source or make all the parts I need.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you need parts - the illustrated parts guides will have #'s needed - ( http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_asse ... rParts.pdf ) and we can still provide (most) parts - you will want to contact Dan Ketterman here at Hobie for help directly.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello Foilers,

I have a TF#49 and it does not have the daggerboard. I have purchased the mounting plate for the daggerboard from Dan Ketterman -- daggerboards were not available. I am hoping someone can help me; I do not know the location on the port side where the mount should be fixed; having some measurements from the bow, and vertical position would be a huge help. Perhaps pictures???

In addition, knowing the size of the daggerboard would also he helpful, as well as how the lines to the dagger board are connected and placed.

I sail in a lake that does not have a wide open area; thus, having the ability to control the TF49 when not on foils is a must have for my location of sailing.

Thank you very much for your assistance,
Deric

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you can allow me to do this over the weekend, I'll be happy to take photos and measurements for you. Mine was apparently factory installed and therefore should be precisely located.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I also could only buy the dagger board mounting plate and added a dagger from an old surf board. It is working well and I don´t want to miss it. Later I got en electric Motor that is even better, not realy "sailing style", but without space to maneuvre between other boats...

Hartmut

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Because the leeboard is really only for giving you some additional steering control when off the foils, it does not have to be perfect. It will not be in use when you are on the foils.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello Foilers.

Update: The lee board is almost complete, I need to fair it and then paint it. The dimensions are done and it will work on the leeboard mount. Dan Ketterman was able to provide me with the bungee cord, and small parts for it.

When the weather get better here in New York, Ill be able to get back to working on it.

Happy Foiling!