Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently purchased a used Hobie 17 and decided to replace the centerboard ropes as they were too short to lower the boards below 7".

While replacing the ropes, I noticed that the handle fits perfectly in the larger, forward hole, and has a lower profile it that position. Consequently, I tied a knot above the handle so that when sitting in the forward hole, the board was 14" deep.

Is this the correct position for the handle, or should a knot be tied below the handle so that the knot sits in the smaller rear hole, and the handle lays on the deck.

I did notice that the handle-in-the-hole position was harder to grasp quickly, and thought that a strain on the handle might wear it out more quickly. Consequently, I may change back to having the knot for the 14" position below the handle.

Also, my Assembly Manual suggests putting "a small stainless steel washer between the top figure-eight knot and the centerboard handle." I can't figure out the purpose of this in either configuration I have mentioned.

I would appreciate any thoughts on or experience with these issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

First of all, check the 17 forums out.

Second of all, you shouldn't be dropping your boards more than 12"

If you do, you run the risk of having them pop out while under sail. The board will stick around, but that $45 spring up in the trunk will sink to the bottom, and you'll be cursing yourself silly.

And really, having a knot below the handle really doesn't matter. I used to have really long centerboard lines with the old wooden handles just dangling around on the deck. I had a series of knots that I could drop the boards down 3" at a time. Finally I said screw it after the board hinge snapped and I had to rebuild the hook on the board (screw $250 for a new board that can be fixed with $5 of epoxy and filler) because I let the rope slide down all the way while beating upwind. So now my line is 12" long at the bottom of the handle to the board knot and I haven't had issues with breaking boards since.