Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So after a 11hrs drive whe arrived in catamaran paradise.
I used to sail here with my HC14 and the 17 was new to me.
We have the solo race version with the "chairs" and discovered the first days that the 17 is a lot faster than the 14. Too much wind for my taste the first days (14-20knts) As tacking was nearly imposible I turned to gybing. This is very scary in windy choppy (max 2 meter waves)conditions!
Here's how I think I was gybing : (open for suggestions plz) wide fast turn and when just before the mail slams to the other side I'm diving to the other side to the front, affraid to backflip. With almost no speed lost I'm back on course in the trapeze hauling the sheet and rocketing trough the waves. Normaly when gybing in these conditions with the 14 I would have backflipped because of the mail slaming to the other side of the boat. I don't know its a issue with the 17?
So basicly 4 things : how to tack this 17 solo with only a mainsail, best practise for gybing, and the diving behavour whe gybing in choppy conditions, backflipbehavour when sails slam to other side in high speed gybe?

Thans in advance,

Ben from Arcachon ,France.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On my Getaway gibing in high winds, as I start my turn I bring the traveler into the center and sheet in slightly. As the boat starts to come close to the jibe point I will grab the main sheet block and pull it over to the down wind side, at the same time I will pull the main sheet out of the jam cleat so when the main fills out on the other tack it doesn't snap real hard because as the main fills up the main sheet can spool out. Once established on the other tack you can reset the traveler and trim the main. That's what I do, doesn't mean its right but it works for me.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had 2 H17s. Tacking takes finesse. Keep up your speed, turn quickly but don't stall the rudders. Over tack, let the sail go way to the other side, then sheet back in and pick up speed before you try to close haul again. Once you get the feel for it, it tacks easily. I find my Getaway with a jib is more likely to go into irons than my H17.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good tips, thanx! Traveler in the middle makes sense (less power in the top) and I'll try the finesse tacking tecnique :-)