Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My Googling says I should try and get slight weather helm, which I do not have. I can take my hands off and the boat sails in a straight line. It's useful for doing stuff like putting sunscreen on :)

Can I adjust the ez-loc rudders?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You can't easily adjust the EZ Loc rudders nor do you need to. Adjusting rudder rake also only reduces your awareness of weather helm, not really changing the forces causing it much. Just pop your rudders half way up and you'll feel plenty of weather helm, vertical rudders not so much.

Your best solution is to rake the mast back. That moves the center of the sail (CE, center of effort) back and pushes harder on the stern of the boat causing it to turn into the wind. To rake the mast you can work with your existing chain plates by moving the side stays down one hole before raising your mast. You'll have to use a higher hole on the forestay adjuster plate, even adding a ten-hole plate or a second 7-hole. The other way is to use a line instead of the forestay adjuster. Read my post and pictures under the thread called "Suggestions needed for dropping/stepping mast on water".

You also change weather with crew weight balance fore and aft, although on a Wave with EZ-Loc you often have to sit too far back causing extra weather helm.

Read up on weather helm and mast rake. Here's a brief discussion:
http://www.schoolofsailing.net/weather-helm-and-lee-helm.html

Last edited by dparker on Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

OK. The boat was neutral with the 7-hole adjuster maxed out and me, solo, at the rear of the boat. Maybe there wasn't enough wind when I tried it. Anyway, I did just install a 10-hole adjuster and haven't had a chance to try that yet.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The Wave racers seem to prefer max mast rake for max speed and pointing (racers, please confirm this). The most you can rake is when your upper and lower blocks touch when fully sheeted in. If you sheet in as hard as possible and the blocks don't touch you can rake back further. To rake back that far requires a 10 hole forestay adjuster or 2 7-hole stacked. Or a line like I use.