Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hatch Storage Solutions
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looking for clever ways to store items inside the hatches so that they are easily retrieved. I find the items below want to migrate unless secured. The hobie storage box is fine but not for bigger items. Anyone have ideas to share?

Vetgam

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I lined the inside of my front and rear hatch areas with a thin closed cell foam pad (aka yoga mat) and it is sticky enough to keep the stuff I've stowed in place.
Didn't need to glue it in so, I just pull it out when it needs drying out in the hull.

Here's the stuff I used - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BRHPU8
Nice and thick and comes in colors to suit your preferences. The light blue one matches up well with the Dune sail and trim.
One roll (mat) is 72" long and gave me enough to do the front hatch area, rear hatch area and enough left over for some 8" wide strips to put between the amas and the hull when trailering to prevent scratching.

~BoP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I could see this working well. Especially If cut it right you could compartmentalize the hull into three sections so that everything below deck stays where you left it. Does it mold over time?

Vetgam

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

with my 8" hatches i made a large loop of paracord that goes through the little hole in the lower hatch flange, then i use small dry boxes that i clip to the paracord, that way my stuff stays dry and i just pull out the box i need.. i hope this makes sense

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I put a plastic tray "that barely fit thought the round hole" in that access area that has four about 1 inch solid PVC standoffs. The standoffs keep the tray above any water in the hull. I tried to glue the PVC standoffs to the hull - gave up. So the plastic tray can be moved around. The plastic tray will not hold any water (I also drilled some extra holes in the bottom of the tray).. any water that does get in the tray just leaks out the bottom. I added a tether to one of the ring mounting holes to the plastic tray. The tray stays relatively dry even with water sloshing around in the hull because of the standoffs.

The tray gets slid forward (still on the tether) and I can pull it back under the access hole. Also, I have a second tether from the tray with a micro SS carabineer at the end that I can clip to a 20 liter dry bag where we will keep rain/splash clothing that you need easy access to on the water.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ditto on the foam mat. I'm using something like a yoga mat but it's sort of waffle textured on one side. I think it's actually and old camping mat.
I keep pool noodles on each side of the hull up to about where the mast socket supports are and this helps block entry of stuff into the hull. I just pull the mat out to dry and sponge out any excess water.
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Try and get a collapsible garden bin in there , I've used them for years on other kayaks .Spring loaded they pop up when in place creating a large space for gear inside the hull

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I can't take credit for this, my wife found a post on a NorCal fishing forum... But it's too good a solution not to share.

Wait for it...

5 quart plastic paint bucket at Lowes (https://www.lowes.com/pd/United-Solutio ... et/3734821) for $3.50 or thereabouts.

1. Take off handle and shave off handle receivers on side of bucket with box cutter.

2. Cut a 1" x 3" wide notch in the top of bucket (if you put it over where one handle receiver is you only have to shave one off in step 1.

3. Drop it into your TI (I'm assuming AI will work too)

I would call it a basically perfect fit in the fore and aft hatch in our 2020 TI, it works in the mid hatch but touches on the bottom sides just enough to not sit flush. Hatch lid still shuts / seals without interference. I attempted to heat it (the bucket) up and reshape it, but ended up butchering it - in retrospect I should've just left it alone.

Edit: Found the original post again, credit where credit is due! http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index ... ic=30574.0

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quick update here -- unfortunately the hull flexes / compresses more than I realized when the boat is in the water, making these buckets a little too tall. I'm going to cut them in half and overlap 1/2-1" or so and then just tape the seam. Still a cheap storage solution!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

jdzl not sure what you're storing but I store Plano 3600 tackles box in the 8" round hatch of my Revo 13. I had an old yoga mat laying around that is about 1/4" thick. I cut pieces of that mat and glued them to the bottom of the Plano 3600 tackle boxes using Marine Goop and they don't slide anywhere. Even when I tilt the kayak up to load it on top of the bed of my truck which the kayak at one point in this process is probably close to a 45 degree angle. I did put a pool noodle inside the hull across the kayak to keep them from sliding backwards. I also use a couple of plastic food storage containers I picked up from Walmart that are similar in size to the 3600's to keep misc items in. I added yoga mat to those as well and no issues sliding or leaking.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Cl ... /937526228

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

For the front hatch I use an Anaconda 80l Caribee Expedition Waterproof Duffle. It's a dry bag with a mid opening. Keeps everything together & dry. Fills up the front hatch area & the mid top opening provides easy access.

I screwed modified small back packs onto the back of both seats & raised the seats a bit to provide storage under them for tethered dry bags.
I don't bother with the two cockpit hatches. So far I haven't needed the rear hatch storage but will probably get another dry bag duffel for this.

In order to keep the boat responsive to waves & quick course adjustments, I try to keep stored items as close to the centre of buoyancy as possible. Heavy items sit on the AMAs in close to the centre hull or under the seats. Light bulky items go into the front hatch & on the rear deck. I do have a waterproof case with a 7kg Lithium Ion battery, solar charger, variable pulse modulator on the rear deck, tucked in against the rear seat.