Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I never have... seems like it has little utility for me...

OTOH, my sailing so far has been limited to chop-less conditions.

OTOOH, it's wart on the bottom of the hull contends with bunks and it's more (not much more, but still...) junk hanging down into the slipstream.

I am tempted to remove it and plug the hole.

Illumination from Those Who Know ?

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you're referring to the venture drain in the seat wells, I use mine all the time. Even though the vantage seats get you up and out of the seat well the cockpit can still fill with water if you're plowing through waves. I normally just leave it open while I'm on the water and then close them when I put the boat away. Trust me it is a welcome change to when you had to sit in a puddle of water. I haven't had any problems with it on the cradles and I have pre-2105 cradles. I have heard folks had issues with it when doing PVC bunks. I think the answer to that was just to heat the PVC in the area that the drain rests and create and indent for it.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mine are pretty much permanently open. I forgot about them a few times when I first had the TI, filled the seat well with water - this was in March or so when the water was still quite cold - wondered why my butt was so cold even in a wetsuit. Realized I had forgotten about the drain and there was enough water in the well I was just touching it in the center of the seat!

Finally just cleated 'em and forget them.

Thought about removing them completely, but did actually have one time recently I wished I'd have closed them. I took the TI out in Kayak mode in perfectly calm conditions. Didn't need to drain anything, and having them cleated I got a splash of wet from below when I plopped down into the seat right as I got started! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I removed mine when I picked up the boat at the dealer and haven't experienced any problems. Gravity is still working where I live, but maybe they need them in the antipodes. :lol:

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I left the venture drain attached to the hull, but removed the cord and plug, so it is always open.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:31 am 
Site Admin

Hogman wrote:
I left the venture drain attached to the hull, but removed the cord and plug, so it is always open.

OK as long as the way your boat is loaded the floor is above waterline... otherwise water floods in. Most models are expected to have the floor lower that waterline. Then the plug and Venturi are critical for draining.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
Hogman wrote:

OK as long as the way your boat is loaded the floor is above waterline... otherwise water floods in. Most models are expected to have the floor lower that waterline. Then the plug and Venturi are critical for draining.

Even fully loaded for camping and fishing, the floor is above the water line on my AI.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I didn't feel that I needed it but always compelled to tinker with stuff I took the speed drain ball and hung a fishing weight on it covered with shrink tubing. The idea being that the loose seal caused by the weight still allows water to leak out and partially blocks little of surges of water coming up from below. I have no idea if this does anything useful since water in the seat well is a non problem for me.

I did find that the insert that previously held the drain handle in place is a handy location for a screw in padeye. I clip the leash for my phone on it and can drop the phone in the nearby mesh pocket.

Chris