Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cat Trax Security
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How does one minimize chance of theft while out on the water. I don't have mine yet and I'm wondering if there is a simple cotter pin i can remove to disassemble and store in truck?

Other options? Maybe wrap a length of cable around the Trax and lock to exterior of truck or lock to the bed?

If the wheels had spokes it would simplify matters.

I am pretty trusting but after spending $500 on Trax I would be quite pissed to come off the water to see they had walked away.

How do others secure their Cat Trax?

Post subject: Re: Cat Trax Security
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

a piece of coated chain with lock around the center of the bar with a loop small enough so the wheels cannot slip through it.

or, drill a hole through the bar in the center and bolt in an eye bolt, then add the chain and lock.
use a ¼" size eye bolt so the hole is small.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've had a Tiger Trax and Cat Trax and leave the boat, trailer, etc. on a Gulf beach overnight(s). You can buy plastic coated cable at Home Depot and cable sleeves and make your own cable 'eyes' on both ends. I've had no rust problems so far.

Double wrap the cable around the axle and then lock both ends to a fixed object.

Chain is probably stronger, but a determined thief with bolt cutters is still a threat.

bill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I put it on the trailer next to my toy box, and use a bicycle cable lock and padlock it to the trailer. I wrap the cable around the axle between the wheels and a trailer rail - wrap it twice and it's too tight to lift up far enough to get it off the trailer.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

On the topic of security, does anyone have any ideas of how to secure a mast? I just had my tiller extension walk off from where I leave my Hobie 16 on a trailer for the winter. A derigged mast on a trailer seems like another easy grab.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wow! Where do you guys sail? Years of sailing in Maryland and on the Delaware shore, I never locked mine and never had a problem! Even at Sandy Point and needle beach ( Fort Smallwood)! Guess the unwritten beach code I grew up with in FL still applied! It's a different world now, isn't it? Down here in NC, it's not an issue at all

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Man, right? I have been lucky I guess and leave my wheels and stuff on the beach while I am sailing around Chicago. When my boat is parked overnight, I use an old hog tail (what I call the old Y-shaped jib/forestay extension that used to connect to my mast tang) to wrap around the cat trax axle, which I lock to a chain with a padlock. In essence, something that loops the axle inside the wheels that can't slip over the wheel. I have a friend that uses an eyestrap bolted into the axle, and another friend that just loops one of those masterlock bike locks around the axle and over his dolphin striker. For the mast, before I step it, I have used a small cable through the mast tang where the shrouds attach.

As an aside, I was happy to get a good deal on 10 outdoor long shackle master locks keyed the same through Zoro.com. I suppose I shouldn't disclose this, but I carry one key and it works on my boat, wheels, sail box, and locker at the beach as well as my shed at home and various other things.

Scott

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For locking beach wheels, I have riveted an eye strap to the axle with a Hobie 18 halyard ring passed through the eye strap. The halyard ring is big enough to pass a bike lock through. Someone would either need to drill out the rivets or cut the eyestrap to get the wheels. Not perfect, but would certainly deter someone from just walking away with them.

For the mast, I would use a cable with a padlock through the large hole in the mast tang. Similar to the wheels, someone would need to start cutting stuff or drilling out rivets to get the mast.

sm