Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Now that the cooler weather is here, it's time I modify my John Boat Trailer to better fit my Hobie TI. I have the cradles, will remove the 2x4 bunks on the trailer and see what I can do. I'm really looking for suggestions from the more experienced crowd. I've had the boat about 2 months and spent most of that time in the water, not thinking about the trailer. It worked so that was fine for the short time I had to get it wet. Now I have a few months of cooler weather and can get it into my garage and make the trailer the way I want. Besides, I needed to use it a few times to see what worked and what did not. I have a pretty extensive wood shop, and several pieces of black indoor outdoor carpet so making a good base for the boat should be a non issue.

Should I plan on putting pvc pipe pieces in between the cradles for max support?? How about a "tail roller" on the back of the trailer to guide it onto the supports?? It has a hand winch so I put a bridle to the front AMA cross member to ease in loading, and a nose roller to support the front when on the trailer.

Thanks for all your thoughts, and for sharing your experiences on this site. It was a major factor in my decision to buy the '15 TI over a Windrider.

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I went with 10' x 2 inch pvc, the gray electrical stuff, which works out very well. The boat slides easy enough on it and the pipe fits the channels in the bottom of the boat perfectly.

If you're looking for some awesome tie downs, I recently added these and love them!

http://www.amazon.com/CargoBuckle-F1037 ... obuckle+g2

They're like your normal ratchet straps but retract into the housing when not used. You bolt the housing on the trailer, then never have to deal with reattaching/putting away your straps when the boat is off the trailer.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you have the Hobie cradles there is no need to add pvc bunks between then. Support by rollers etc front and rear provide all the rest you need. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here's a roller assembly at the rear of a Trailex trailer. It allows a smooth transition unloading or loading the trailer with my TI.

bill

/Users/williamaxon/Desktop/Stoltz rollers (dragged).pdf