Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks to a couple of posts here, with tips, I was able to install the furler on the Revo 11. I opted for a left-side install.

The question is really with the sail itself. From the instructions "Run the mainsheet from the sail side, through the rear pad-eye, and up through the right clip on your seat.". I'm staring at the seat, and it's either right in front of me, or I'm blind. Where is the "right clip?"

It also seems like other posters really are not using this seat clip, but maybe some other cam cleat. I see harken micro cam cleat mentioned.

thank you for any recommendations!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Try this system - im doing it today - a mate did it yeaterday - and it (censored) on the hobie system as its one handed.

http://youtu.be/H_stDzQJ1ow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

The Hobie system is also "one handed", so not sure how that makes any sense. The Hobie system is a bit easier to set up and remove for sure.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
The Hobie system is also "one handed", so not sure how that makes any sense. The Hobie system is a bit easier to set up and remove for sure.

In theory the hobie system is one handed.

In practise its not. It slips, the knots get in the way, all in all its pretty poorly designed and difficult to use one handed.

I modified mine subtantially so it wont slip as much and when it does it doesnt get knots stuck but that definitely ruled out one handed operation.

This system is true one handed operation - with the added advantage of putting tension on the sail as you unfurl and vice versa.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:14 pm 
Site Admin

When properly installed... it works great. No knot issues and one handed... just saying.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mine was installed by the dealer - precisely as per the instructions. It slips on the furler, putting the knots on the fairlead or the ring at the rear where the tensioner attaches and preventing further furling/ unfurling.

This has been a problem that multiple people across multiple forums have experienced. Kdfu, yakfishwest and here

I can honestly say not ONE person has replied to threads on the forums ive read to say it works no problems aside from you. At a recent yakfishwest meetup, we discussed different methods of hacking it to work properly. Every single person who had the sail and furl kit - had problems with the furl kit.

If there is something we are missing then i would suggest that you guys get on top of it. If we or the dealers are installing it incorrectly then i suggest you give out more detailed instructions. Including specific instructions online for each kind of hobie. I can collate a few pics of peoples installs and post them up and feel free to post how to improve the install and i will pass the info back.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

Btw...Your system looks like it works great though. Much more complicated and harder to rig I'm sure. Thanks for posting.

I've heard many positive reports about the Hobie version and when I used it... it worked great, but I'm sure there could be install variances from model to model. Forums typically are the place for people looking for help more than expressing pleasure about stuff, so not surprised really. It's just the way forums work.

A few positive reviews in these forums:

Quote:
I was surprised how well the factory furling kit works.

Quote:
It does seem to work well on land and give the needed tension but I haven’t tried a real world test yet on the water.

Quote:
I enjoy using the Hobie sail kit (including furler) on my 2013 Sport

We did have some issues with correct position of the knots vs knobs that caused some issues. That was handled long ago. Sailing with higher loads would also cause issues. Most furler systems struggle against wind pressure.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)