Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tiger snuffer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All

With the mouth of the snuffer sitting on the port side and almost all roundings at the leeward mark being to port during normal racing the bag always seems to be dragged over the spi pole.

Has anyone tried to put the mouth of the snuffer on the starboard side of the spi pole?

Any potencial problems that anyone sees in this?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I made mine on the starboard side and like it there. For the exact reason you mentioned. I think that the chute will deploy easily at the weather mark so it matters little what side it is on there. I think it is imperative to have a dousing advantage at the leeward mark. Since we are rounding mostly to port the kite will be flying on the starboard side and the snuffer, placed there, will be right there for it. I also use an endpole that sits between the pole and the pole bridle wires not the I-20 style but close.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Dan

Any chance you can send me some pictures of this system ?

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Does this help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Dan

Thanks, I have never seen a system with the mouth at the end of the pole.

Would this mean that you have only two points on the spinnaker for the retrieval line instead of 3 that I have, because of the longer length of the bag?

It looks if you do not need a tack line, so does your uphaul cleat on the mast or does it cleat on the beam and on which side of the boat do you have it, still on the starboard side ?

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hagar:

I have a two point system on the chute for take down. Originally I just put another point on a three point spinnaker because that I is what I got with the boat. I made my own snuffer from the beginning of ownership of Formula 18s. My thought was that if it did not work I was not worst for the wear, so I made it. I could have still bought the "regular" one if this experiment failed.

It works beautifully in my opinion! We will not go to a seperate tack line on our personal boat. This makes for less to think about in a very intense racing fleet. We do need to sail with tack lines when we charter a boat though. Not very many Formula 18 sailors think this is a good way to go. There the windage and weight excuses. I am not convinced that the windage around a triangle course is critical. There is plenty going on that can ruin a race besides that. As far as weight my snuffer weights at less than a pound. Most that I have weighed are 3 lbs and more. If you measure weight in swing weight I am still 1 lbs lighter.

Our spinnaker halyard cleat is on the starboard side of the mast about 3 feet from the deck. Eileen will usually pull it up while standing. If the swells are very large and she gets uncomfortable it is easy enough to do while kneeling.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Dan

I have one of the old Tigers with the 50mm spi pole; I want to try this system of yours. I really like the idea of getting rid of the tack line and having the mouth on the starboard side will be 1st prize. Could you send me some more detail pictures of?

How the bag attaches to the mouth
What material have you used for the bag?
Are the curved pole parts made out of metal or fiberglass?
How do you attach the tack of the spin?

Thanks