Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As we prepare to "go on the road" for a long time, I thought I'd pass along some issues we've run into....both from experience and from planning research.

The regulations for our kayaks are all over the board in many states. Quite a few states have regulations and policies that can cause you some difficulty.

1. Over 10 foot rules - some states want to see registration or registration type numbers from your home state, if you are a visiting kayaker. For many of us, there is no answer! I'm glad I travel with Sports. If in doubt, print your home state boat registration rules and have it in your car when you travel to other states; having the correct answer and a friendly attitude can save the day.
2. Invasive species control - you should find out what the rules are before you load up and go. In one instance, I had to show a campground receipt from the last lake I'd visited (at the previous state visited), before the inspector would sign off my "boat inspection" at point of entry. This was despite the fact that the Invasive Species rule did not apply to under 10 feet! My Sports are 9'7", but he decided I had to be inspected and documented, anyway.
3. PFD "on and buckled" for all kayaks, regardless of operator age - check the rules where you are headed....you'll need to get something like SOSpenders if it's hot where you'll be kayaking. Your motor overheats pretty quick in a full vest type PFD. The lake patrol considers that condition a personal problem.
4. Classification of your Hobie - many states will NOT allow you to use your sail rig without proper home state boat registration. They will pay particular attention to anyone with "out of state" license plates. Know the rules and don't break them, even if the locals do.
5. Be smiling and helpful when the lake patrol stops you for having a motor (because he doesn't see you paddling). I've had one argument where the officer insisted the pedals were for steering and I had a "hidden electric motor". After I showed him the pedal drive, the light bulb went on and he wanted to visit awhile.
6. Safety equipment as required by the local law. Your home state rules do NOT apply when it comes to safety regulations.

Hope this saves someone from "a bad day".
JimL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If the risk of having a bad day as a result of these rules starts getting you down you need to consider moving to NZ. :mrgreen:

Here all you need is to carry a PFD and you are pretty much at liberty to get on enjoying your kayaking.

Unless you are obviously not wearing a lifejacket or you are fishing nobody is going to stop you out on the water (In more than 10 years I have never been stopped and asked but I always wear a PFD and always fish within the bag limit and length rules).

As to travelling between states, well there's only one state here so that's not an issue... it is a state with a fantastic coastline and a load of lakes and rivers too, most of which are unspoiled, unfrequented and teaming with wildlife.

Anyway, makes me feel quite sad what you guys have to put up with from your government... all those jobsworths running around registering, checking, measuring, regulating, ticketing etc .... Frankly I cannot understand for the life of me what the reasoning is.... Is the US government relying on all those kayak registration fees to reduce the national debt or something... ?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Probably. :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Probably has something to do with the difference between 43.3 and 313.9 million in population. You have that many folks to deal with and there has to be some kind of regulation.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
Anyway, makes me feel quite sad what you guys have to put up with from your government

Not all the rules in the USA are all that bad.

Where does your government stand on the right to keep and bear arms for example?

And some of the NZ rules, like no nuclear power of any kind: Heck, even the Frenchies aren't that big of fraidy cats.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SkiPro3 :
You could have picked better examples, possibly something that puts a little better light on US, ( worst examples ever).

At least their government (and most others) is not totally dysfunctional.

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

fusioneng wrote:
SkiPro3 :
You could have picked better examples, possibly something that puts a little better light on US, ( worst examples ever).

At least their government (and most others) is not totally dysfunctional.

Bob

Worst examples ever...

Let's examine my examples starting with nuclear power. Right now, sitting off the coast of the Philippines, a nuclear powered air craft carrier, the George Washington, is distilling sea water with that nuclear power.

Oh, just how much water, you want to know?
1,500,000 liters. Every single day. That's 400,000 gallons.

With the Navy C2 Greyhounds, the crews were able to be on-site even before the carrier could get there. That's what a nuclear powered floating runway will get you.

There is 1.388 Million cubic feet of food on board the USNS Charles Drew there as well, with an additional 23,000 barrels of fuel to deliver to the victims of the typhoon.

There's a 51 bed hospital on board. There's even 5 dentists.

In total, the USS George Washington is bringing not only itself, but also the cruisers USS Cowpens, USS Antietam, the destroyers USS Lassen and USS Mustin, the Charles Drew, the survey ship USNS Bowditch, and submarine tender that services submarines that may or may not be with the carrier group at all times (hint: they're with the carrier group at all times).

Oh yeah, there is that $20,000,000 our totally dysfunctional government sent as well.

All that for the Philippines AFTER they kicked our Navy out 20 years ago. Partly because nuclear power is bad. Personally, I'd rather see all that cost go towards working on the back log in our own VA hospitals.

Most people, like you, have no clue what our military peace time mission even is. So, before you start in bad mouthing our government, you should learn what it is our government does for the less fortunate.

In the meantime, after you're done pulling your head out of your azz, you could read this and try to understand how much the American government is appreciated;

by: Jether
November 15, 2013 10:10 AM
God bless America, thank you for your great generosity to us and may all of the filipinos say Amen and Amen.

by: Ferdinand from: Thailand
November 15, 2013 10:05 AM
We are very thankful for the US Government for the support and aid given to the people in Leyte.
God Bless You

by: vinky lastra from: hongkong
November 15, 2013 5:31 AM
Thank you so much US GOVERNMENT...GOD BLESS U MORE..

by: cyrus from: manila
November 14, 2013 10:10 PM
tank u very much to the u.s goverment and u.s navy sailor who help during disaste god bless

In Response
by: Archie Clint from: Qatar
November 15, 2013 10:51 AM
Thank you so much America for your help and support. May God bless you more.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I enjoyed reading what you said.Did you know there was another USS Lassen It was a ammunition ship during WW11. My dad was on it. I got to go on a carrier out of San Diego the USS Constellation. At the time my brother-in-law was Captain. He retired in 2008 as a two star. I enjoy reading about out Military I was unable to serve due to Cystic Fibrosis. My draft number was 8. I got to go thru the induction physical it was funny. as They had me 1A for 30 minuets. I didn't care because if I could get in and surrvive I would have stayed in and retired. Thank you for your service and what you do. If your interested who the two star is Donald K Bullard.

Jeff Horton

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The OP was attempting to be helpful and not flamed by a bunch of unhappy people. It also shows remarkable ignorance to compare the tiny nuclear power plant in an aircraft carrier with the ones at land based power plants that are upwind of millions of people who will not have a prayer when there is a meltdown.

Living in Central CA I ended up selling boats as it was too much of a pain to get an inspection for quagga and zebra muscles every time I launched somewhere. The boats had to be perfectly dry and so did every part of the trailer, including the bunks. I understand the problem as these critter clog intake pipes for water an cost municipal utilities billions of dollars a year in added maintenance costs. But whereas for group on a bass or ski boat there is one inspection and one fee for the group, with a bunch of people with kayaks there is an inspection and fee for each and every one of them.

Not so oddly the boating and rec industry has kept the state from shutting down any of the reservoirs in Southern CA that are infested and so every time a boater goes into one of them and then travels up north they have a good chance of infested lakes and reservoirs elsewhere. To date the only infested reservoir is Justo in central CA.

Sailboat regs usually vary by length and shorter boats get by with nothing more than the PFD. Many lakes restrict 2-stroke outboards, fewer restrict gas engines altogether but many do have a 10 HP maximum so people buy kicker motors for their boats so they can go out on these lakes. I like the ones that have a 10 MPH maximum speed as that eliminates all the wakeboarders and jet skis and makes for a much more pleasant day out on the water.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

another thing - I've been told this by several DNR officers in a couple of states - and it's common sense too...if you are NOT wearing your PFD, it still must be EASILY accessible... not in your hatch, not in a ready bag, etc., also not good under the shock cords... you flip and current drifts you away from yak, PFD will stay with yak... I wear mine... but some don't. Seen them do this to power boaters too... 6 PFD's in those neat mesh bags under the console... drag them out and the zipper is so corroded you have to cut bag open with knife.... no time for that in an emergency...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Actually, by Federal law, states may only regulate motorized watercraft, although nearly all have their own "illegal" laws, ordinances and regulations regarding non motorized craft, including kayaks. I was once cited for not having my TI registered, which is required in North Carolina once a boat is 14 feet in length or longer. I took the ticket quietly, took it to court with the Federal law and related court precedents, and it was promptly dismissed. Even the judge was not aware that the vessel couldn't be regulated. But once presented with the actual law and previous cases, he did about 2 or 3 minutes of reading and pronounced it "dismissed."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't think I would have a leg to stand on in court with the outboards on my TI, so I just paid for the title and registration. If we go to other states, I believe most accept out of state registrations for around 90 days) Actually my insurance agent strongly suggested we title and register the boat, they explained if registered and titled it's an Automatic grand theft felony and if titled and registered, if recovered we have a chance of getting it back. She explained that stolen kayaks are just a misdemeaner, and they do very little to recover them (my insurance agents words not mine, but it sounded reasonable to me), In Florida registration is I think $36 bucks. But then again a TI is huge and heavy, I'm not picturing two teenager running thru the neighborhood with a 245 lb TI on their heads (built in theft deterrent lol)
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I guess for once, SC is in the right.... no restrictions at all on non-motorized WC. Friend of mine was up north and had one of those little cheap blow up one man boats with the little plastic oars and oarlocks... paddling around in a lake and some wildlife officer gave him a ticket because it wasn't "registered".....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It may be a good idea to have a sticky that only has lakes/states that have specific requirements. It could be a post we compile with user's experience over time?

Zieman Trailer w/ Cradles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

An interesting sequence of responses to what was a fairly tongue-in-cheek observation.

While I am sure there is a difference in approach required to oversee the activities of a population of 4.3 million (yup, that's the real population of NZ) over that required for 320 million I am still of the mind that a lot of what you guys go through is "government for government's sake" and it would appear that even the government officials over there don't have much of a clue as to what law applies and what doesn't w.r.t. kayaks.

As to being 'fraidy cats... I am actually from the UK originally where we do have Nuclear power - I have eaten many fish from radioactive seas and walked along many radioactive beaches in the UK. I even got rained on by the fall-out from Chernobyl. My aunt lived within spitting distance of the Sellafield Nuclear plant (where my cousin currently works) - she died very young from breast cancer. I have no idea what the effect on me will be in the long term, if any, but I am guessing that if exposure to radioactivity from any of this affects my health at any point there will not be a single representative of any Nuclear company or country standing by to fix me up. So I am quite happy about any country that wants to taking a stand against the vested interests of the nuclear power industry, lobby and military - this is not driven by fear but by strength.

Anyway, while I am on the keyboard, I thought I'd just say that I particularly like the response about the right to bear arms in NZ... ... :roll: only in America... How I wish we could copy the USA model and allow any and every idiot in New Zealand to buy, carry and use a gun - hand or assault - whenever they felt like it - the only logical conclusion one could possibly draw, based on the evidence of all the mass shootings in the USA that we see reported on the news over here, is that it certainly would be likely to make New Zealand a whole lot safer :lol: