Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:46 pm 
Site Admin

Would be most like a code zero I suppose.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The cut of the sail, the fullness, depth, etc, determines what type of sail it is. Because this sail snuffs rather than furls, I am suspecting it has a pretty full/deep cut. So if this is a true asymetrical spinnaker then you'll find it has an operating range that is best somewhere below and between a beam reach and DDW. I hesitate to state the range in degrees as I have not sailed it, but I will suspect it to be somewhere between 30 to 60 degrees from DDW. Lower than that and it will collapse (which makes it easy to use safely) much higher and it'll stall.

But if you get it out on a beam reach in strong winds, well... this is where people are going to get a very quick and effective sailing lesson.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The video is now posted ..... http://www.hobiecat.com/islandspinnaker

Looks great. Only thing I see that's a minor issue is after installing, the trampoline won't be able to slide over the knuckle of the aka bar since the cam cleat is installed there.

Also wondering how hakas may work with the snuffer and rigging ..... or not. Regardless, can't wait to try the spinnaker on my AI2.

Mounting the snuffer on the haka just might work. And mounting the two cleats for the spinnaker sheet on a temporary ram mount on the akas will allow for a wide range of experimentation. When you need to hike out, you could theoretically sit on the snuffer as it won't be in use.

Last edited by CaptnChaos on Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jim that cam cleat should no interfere with the tramps at the knuckle. My 2012 AI has a cam cleat in that location and there is no issue.

I do see another small issue though. I like to roll up the tramps when returning and approaching the boat ramp so that i can paddle in.. That may be more difficult if not impossible . I'll just have to learn how to return without using a paddle.

Matt, Because I have another headsail that I use on the starboard side and want to keep it there, will there be anything wrong with turning everything around and installing the snuffer and cleat on the port side? Also my quarterdeck sits out over the area that the swivel cleat should be installed. Any problem installing the swivel cleat further out on the aka as long as I can reach it?

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi. Does anyone know the size and the weight of the shipping package of the kit? I'd like to calculate the potential shipping cost for the single unit...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have now seen the video and am confused.

Is it really true that the current Islands have the main furling cam cleat located directly in front of the right Miragedrive pedal? I thought this design flaw had been corrected by moving the main halyard cleat >outside< the knuckle, with the furling one on the inside of the crossbar clamp. That is the way my MY12 TI was delivered.

There is absolutely no way I would relocate these cam cleats inwards to make room for the spinnaker cleat on the outside of the knuckle.

I am with vetgam, and would not consider anything other than mounting all the spinnaker halyard gear on the port side instead, making use of the already drilled and tapped holes on the port side of the crossbar.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

vetgam wrote:
Jim that cam cleat should not interfere with the tramps at the knuckle. My 2012 AI has a cam cleat in that location and there is no issue.
Thanks Greg

tonystott wrote:
Is it really true that the current Islands have the main furling cam cleat located directly in front of the right Miragedrive pedal? I thought this design flaw had been corrected by moving the main halyard cleat >outside< the knuckle, with the furling one on the inside of the crossbar clamp. That is the way my MY12 TI was delivered.

Yes, my 2016 AI has the furling cleat directly in front of the pedals. Somewhat annoying to cleat the furling line but not impossible.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks great!.... can't wait to get my hands on one :D

Lowrance Pro Staff
YakAttack Pro Staff
Hook1 Crew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

For some reason, this is what comes to mind for me when I watch that video and picture myself trying to install the spinnaker kit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6vJYyYrRps

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jerinaldi wrote:
For some reason, this is what comes to mind for me when I watch that video and picture myself trying to install the spinnaker kit...

That is freaking hilarious! :lol:

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:37 am 
Site Admin

No reason the system could not be on the port side.

Spin kit package is 17"x11"x7" 7 lbs

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Love that baking video. :lol:

Matt, I am more concerned why they are so specific about the position of the swivel cams (2-4) in. They can be further out can't they, as long as you can reach them comfortably?

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

TI_Tom wrote:
jerinaldi wrote:

That is freaking hilarious! :lol:

Yep, thanks for that!! best laugh in a while

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

vetgam wrote:

Matt, I am more concerned why they are so specific about the position of the swivel cams (2-4) in. They can be further out can't they, as long as you can reach them comfortably?

Can't see why not. Does ad some load pulling the aka forward. That increases as you move the swivel outboard. (was thinking halyard on this one. Sheet swivels should be no issue).

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

vetgam wrote:

it looks to me that its setup with the cam cleat and the two buttons on the aka which allow for three sail trimming positions, if you want to put the cleat out further im sure its fine, it will just give you less trimming options......

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next