Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After reading The Hobie Forum with interest I find myself in need of some help!!

For the past couple of years I've owned an old (1998) Wave Classic, which I sail most weekends in the Gulf of Thailand.
The poor old girl gets quite a beating when the seas get up but has always seemed to cope quite well; now I wonder about that.....
Generally she appears to be in good shape, but always takes on fresh water after a tropical storm. This has always been a mystery because I couldn't see where it was coming in. Yesterday I found out why ... I set out to replace one of the tatty seat pads, only to find that the moulding plug under the pad was loose and there are a number of radial cracks in the top of the hull running out from the moulding hole 20-40mm long. This means that the stiffness in under the seat pad is significantly compromised. I hadn't particularly noticed this before, but when I tested the others they all feel soft, but not as soft as this one.

Has anyone come across this issue before?
Is there a known fix?
or .....horrors of horrors.... are my hulls at the end of their lives?

Any help/ideas very gratefully received

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

It is important to drill the ends of the cracks to stop them from propagating. I used a product called G-flex to fix my hulls: see this http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=53865. Post a picture of of your cracks, so we can see what is going on. I cant imagine that the boats integrity is compromised from the cracks you describe.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks For the input and Link.
Drilling the end of the cracks is an obvious 'must do' which I had failed to think about.
I will get some photos at the weekend when I get back to the boat again and also see if I can source G- Flex here in Thailand.

I had wondered about getting a 3mm stainless steel plate cut and bonding it to the area under the seat pad to attempt to restore the stiffness. The issue is what bonding agent would be effective on the Hobie hull material - but possibly G-Flex is the answer.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I too thought of a adding a plate under the seat pad. If you're creative you may be able to add it inside the boat by removing the inspection port. Perhaps rivets would be enough to hold it in place or the g-Flex... good luck