Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Carl M wrote:
can anyone verify that the spinnaker kits have shipped, i have already received my mast tip wind indicator but the dealer still don't have the spinnakers?

Com'on guys, Am I the first one ? If so, very Cool.

My kit was waiting for me when I got home from work today. Thanks Southwind ! It is for my 2015 Tandem Island - Dune. The packaging and kit looks well put together. 3 bags, the snuffer bag, sail (also in a black bag), hardware bag, plus 2 lines and instructions... I Have not got into it yet.., but, hopefully I will have it rigged by the weekend. Some quick pics. :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice!

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

no fair!! lol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Very cool, now let's see it in use! :P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

hjdca now u have also the responsability to be the first one to post a video with the rigging, and, what is most important for me, the TACKING. i really want to see what happens in the backstay when the maisail passes on the other side of the tack.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just so everyone knows what it's really like out there in low wind conditions (under 5 mph) without a spinnaker here is a video I made a while ago in light conditions (pretty typical around here ten months out of the year). I'm out on the water pretty much every weekend all year round.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW62S1_RfYQ

The areas we live in are all pretty huge, where we normally launch from (City Island) is around 6-7 miles from the closest place of any interest to us (South Lido beach, Sarasota, FL). Anything near any land mass is nothing but boring shallow and bare white sand.

When we first got our TI I made a promise to wife that pedaling the TI 15 miles/week would be my exercise program (big mistake lol). I had no idea at the time that in low winds traveling and pedaling at 2 mph (usually less against the wind and current,,, often negative), to get my fifteen miles in took 10 hrs on the water in the hot 95 degree Florida sun. With no wind to cool you down, it is dangerously hot (like an egg in a frying pan, and you are the yoke).
As you can see in the video with both a mainsail and a jib mounted on my boat, I'm only making 1.6 mph headway (pedaling).

I really feel Hobies new Spinnaker is going to make a huge difference. Most Saturdays when I'm out, mine is the only adventure boat out on the water, even though I know there are hundreds in the area. I'm hoping Hobies new spinnaker is going to change all that, Thank you Hobie....

FE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sardinian Islander wrote:
hjdca now u have also the responsability to be the first one to post a video with the rigging, and, what is most important for me, the TACKING. i really want to see what happens in the backstay when the maisail passes on the other side of the tack.

NOTHING will happen when the mainsail passes on the other side if Hobie's instructions are followed. Before gybing, furl the mainsail until the first batten is against the mast, and therefore totally clear of the backstay.

Of course, attempting to gybe without first partially furling the sail would almost certainly result in a real problem.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Get them while they're hot! Oh wait to late.......my dealer contacted hobie to find out where their shipment is, hobie ran out already..........

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've been running very close to the same setup as Hobies new setup on my rig for almost 6 yrs now (rear stay and similar spinnaker setup). First off it's not a major problem, it's more of an awareness issue than anything else. One of those you don't want to get caught with your pants down things, in other words it's a potential problem to get the rear stay line tangled in the mainsail batton caps, when it does get tangled it can get hairy. But there are many fixes and easy solutions that you can come up with yourself as long as you are aware there is a possibility that the lines can get tangled.
In my case to solve the issue I enclosed my rear stay line in 3/8" dia PVC water pipe and shortened the batton caps on my mainsail. You can design and make whatever you need.

The problem doesn't neccessarily occur on downwind and when using the spinnaker. The forward force on the mast keeps the rear stay pretty tight. And typically when running a spinnaker you kind of want you main furled in a little, and pulled straight back to help counteract some of the forward force from the spinnaker, plus, the main and spin are very close together, if your using both, the main shadows the spinnaker (blocks the air to the spinnaker) if your not careful.

If you watch this extremely boring video you can clearly see my rear stay line. On the downwind leg (at around 3:00 in the video) the masts are pulled forward and you can see the tension on the rear stay line (it stays out of the way, and extremely unlikely to wrap around anything).

Now look at 3:50 into the video during the upwind leg, the masts are pulled back and you can see in the video the rear stay line is really floppy and actually laying on the mainsail. This is where there is a potential for the rear stay line to get tangled in the main batton caps (it happened to me more than once prior to adding the pvc tubing, and trimming the batton caps).

Unfortunately I didn't have my spinnaker along that day, but the effect on the rear stay line is the same whether I'm using a regular jib, my wing or one of my spinnakers.

Obviously when going upwind the spinnaker is normally down and in it's chute, however the rear stay line is ever present, and because of the really bendy mast, the rear stay line gets quite loose when running upwind.

Warning video is really boring, just fast forward to the 3:00 mark and the 3:50 mark to see what I'm describing above.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDGNxvCyVeI

Hope this helps (just trying to help here)
FE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
Sardinian Islander wrote:

NOTHING will happen when the mainsail passes on the other side if Hobie's instructions are followed. Before gybing, furl the mainsail until the first batten is against the mast, and therefore totally clear of the backstay.

Of course, attempting to gybe without first partially furling the sail would almost certainly result in a real problem.

Keep a knife handy folks. :o

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Fusioneng for sure u will go faster with the spi and 5 mph wind but ONLY if you sail downwind. with a genoa u would have benefits also if u sail upwind.

I wonder if the top of the batten is a problem with the new sniwel design. the backline go wown from the top of the mast and maybe shoudnt interfere with the battens but with the sail.
furling a little the mainsail before gybing is ok but what happens if the gybe is not wanted?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The batten will catch on the backstay until you partially furl it. Fortunately, when the batten is caught on the backstay, this will depower the sail, reducing bad outcomes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The rear stay line does touch the main sail once in a while, especially upwind when the spinnaker is not deployed. This is not a serious problem, however the stock setup on the batton caps has the battons sticking out about 2 inches from the sail. I'm only suggesting that with the spinnaker kit installed it's a good preventive measure to cut a little off the ends of the batton rods, then put the caps back on, thats all.

The spinnaker kit is just the beginning of the adventure (lol). Let the fun commence..
FE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was with Jim from Hobie as he launched his AI for the everglades challenge. His spinnaker helped him in launching as he pushed the AI off the beach into the water. He was one of the later launches and yet several hours later he's in front of the pack which is a BIG testament to the spinnaker. Winds seemed perfect for it's use.

There was only one other Hobie (a TI) with the new Hobie spinnaker and they had never flown it before. And an AI with his own clever design of a furling spinnaker AND furling jib AND completely modified hull ... amazing engineering in his setup. His tribe name was island mutant. He had a back stay and side stays ... quite complex.

Spinnaker looks beautiful.

Here's a short video with Jim and his Spinnaker as he left.
( I am having trouble embedding video ! not sure what I'm doing wrong but you can click the link)

https://youtu.be/NXhBVd_8pnw

Last edited by CaptnChaos on Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Maybe the info is here, but I have not seen it - but I am still wondering what the consequences are of having the spinnaker up on one of the non-recommended tacks.

I'm thinking the scenario where somebody beats upwind for 5-6 miles, then turns around and reaches back-and-forth across the wind back to the beach.

Sooner or later, he will forget and/or mis-steer - winding up on one of the non-recommended tacks with the spinnaker deployed.

What happens then? Things just stop working well? Or does equipment break ?

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next