Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 21SE Tuning Tips
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Howdy all,
I have been racing my 21SE against a Hobie Tiger for 2 years now. We have a blast :-)
Now that I feel reasonably competent sailing the boat, and under spinnaker we finish within seconds of each other I'd like to make sure that I have the boat setup as well as possible.
Please chime in with any item or change you have made to your boat that works well for you, racing or cruising.
I did a few searches, but if there is a resource or post that has this info, please direct me toward it.
Please help with the following: (I'm looking at you Tom King)

Shroud tension: I haven't adjusted the shroud tension since I bought the boat. Any thoughts on this? It is crazy important on my Nacra and I adjust for the current wind conditions. What is the base setting?

Diamond wire tension: I have a loos guage, but I have no idea what tension to set the wires. The Hobie assembly manual is a little vague on the subject. How tight should the bottoms be? How much distance aft of the mast should the spreaders be? What is the desired tension on the tops? Do you change these based on wind conditions?

I have adjusted the rudders to have just under 1/8th toe in at mid point, is this correct? I usually only raise the windward rudder if winds are really light.

Dagger boards: Since there is no toe adjustment, I raise the windward dagger upwind and both downwind. Many boats like to have the leeward dagger down 1/2 going downhill, is this beneficial on the 21? Should I tie a second knot to have a "half setting"?

Mast preventer: Going upwind, I sometimes have a a bit of backwind right behind the mast. I typically have the mast preventer loose as it doesn't seem to rotate too far. What settings should I choose for this up and down wind?

Other awesome tweaks or changes to make?

Help this old boat beat down the Tigers :-)

-Todd

Post subject: Re: 21SE Tuning Tips
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

No one has anything to suggest?
Matt, do you have any info about setting the shrouds and diamond wires?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Getting prepared for my first full season with my 21 SE, anyone have any information on this?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I can't believe no one has ANY advise on the 21...

Swagga, if you haven't replaced your jib, do so. I was blown away at how much higher I could point. There was a 9year old jib on the boat and it looked to be in decent shape, but what a difference the new jib made!
Other than that, I am still playing with settings. Pretty tough without even a baseline.

-Todd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Way ahead of you! I purchased my boat last year and it needed all new sails. I bought a new mylar main and dacron jib from Chip at Whirlwind. They are awesome! The boat came with the furling spinnaker, but it needs some TLC and patches.

I have a laundry list of things to do to my boat this year, but tuning-wise I'm gonna shape-up my rudders and boards, get some rulers for my downhaul and outhaul (start playing with settings from there) and for the diamond wires I'm clueless. I always just make them hand-tight.

I would like to paint/regelcoat, but I don't know if I'll have the time. Spending as much time on the water will be the best way to tune these boats I'd think. We're a pretty small population, parts, knowledge and competition :wink: is limited.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm also contemplating moving to south-eastern Florida, wouldn't be a bad place to have a 21.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Gents,

Been a while now since my last post, 2011 i think it was. My 21SE has been stored since then and these past 2 weekends we have been bringing her back to life. We are currently on the North Kent coast UK and we have moved some 20 miles east along the coast. The weather is closing in and we want to move her to her new home, kids have grown and time to unleash the beast again.
All new rigging has been made and since putting the mast up we have had some scratchy head moments as the shrouds seem too sloppy and we cannot remember how tight everything was previous. initially we had the front bridles wires attached to the furthest out point on the bow, we have since realized that the spin pole attaches at the front and moved them back. We have the roller furler adjusted as per a previous post that stated the adjuster was in line with the base of the furler, we actually have the base of the Forestay adjuster 1 hole showing out of the bottom of the furler.
we have shroud adjusters that have the main shrouds on the top hole, which appears to be where they were historically from the wear marks.
Everything just seems a bit loose and now where near tight as some have described.

Repairs done recent / ongoing:
All wings stripped down. nightmare trying to find correct pop rivets, going for 6.5mm diameter monel metal rivets.
Machined new wind end caps all round for wings
new mast bob pole due to bending of original: very difficult to find fully enclosed pop rivets over here.
refurbished all rudder stocks. New plungers machined
***Trying to find new pins special screws for the cams - part number 50312301 if anyone can advise

Still to do over coming months, need to locate.

Dolphin retainer. mine is broken. did read a post on someone replacing with one from europe?????

any interest or help with the above regarding setting up the mast would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Murray's has the rudder screw/bearing parts. Rebuilt mine completely, and my how fine the steering is! I got my fully sealed rivets from a hobie dealer (k&o sailing) and albanyfasteners, if the former was OOS. I never found money and ended up using stainless to rebuild wings. Monel is much better, however. Aluminum hat rivets where not critical. I tend to buy in bulk to stock my shop, however,, so take that FWIW if you look up some suppliers.

I set me diamond wires so you can get them pretty close to mast about 18 inches up from base (if I remember right). This is just over hand tight, but not much. Shrouds I can't recall, but more than hand tight-I have to pull the forestay down to connect bridles. Not a lot of tuning info. Out there, I'm afraid...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It likes rake, and a tight rig. My front adjuster is flush with the bottom of the furler drum, as was everyone elses' that raced in the Prosail series.

The rig needs to be tight. I use a winch to pull the mast up, so I don't tighten again, but if I was raising the mast by hand, and back, I'd loosen one shroud, and tighten it back once the sail was up, by letting the traveler out.

The boat is heavy, so needs to be powered up in almost all conditions. The spreader wires are never loose to amount to anything.

I don't remember ever wanting to let the rotater out past where the mast profile blends in with the main's curve. The boat handles just fine, even in survival conditions, by just using the back few feet of the main, and at that point, fine points of sail shape don't matter.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you both.
Tom, i have the adjuster with 1 hole showing at the bottom showing, i willl moving it up and try and move the adjustment down on the shrouds one hole at a time and see what tension i can get on it.
How did the spinnaker pole hold stay up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Spinnaker pole is held up by very small line hanging from each bridle wire. It's not hanging from the adjuster, or furler.