Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

After w

Last edited by TPresail on Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:57 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm in the same boat (ba da bump) but here's what I know. Hobie doesn't recommend nor support the use of a trapeze with wings. You're not going to be flying hulls so I don't think you need to add wires.

You can see some of the suggestions others have made on options here:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?p=26486 including the cheata mount.

Best of luck with your purchase.

CB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

With the wings, you don't really need the trapeze. However, with kids, it might be fun for them.

As for the motor mount, Hobie sells the Cheata mount which works great with a small electric motor (I use the Minn Kota 30 - the smallest model) with a 32Ah AGM battery and this gives me plenty of reserve (1/2 hour - 2 miles) to get back to my mooring or some other shore if the winds completely dies down. I suppose the battery wouldn't like a dunking, but I haven't capsized the Getaway yet, so I can't tell you what would happen.

Post subject: Trapeze or no trapeze
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When we bought our boat (with wings) the dealer threw in the trapeze and harness as a gift. We've sailed in winds up to 20 Kts, and haven't used the trapeze yet. With two adults on board, the weight moment was outboard enough that it wasn't necessary to go out any farther. Maybe with only one adult on board in those conditions a trap might be handy, but I haven't tried that one yet.

With two adults on board, you'll find intentionally flying a hull with the wings to be a challenge. As the windward hull rises, the leeward hull begins to rotate relative to the surface of the water. Eventually the forward support bar on the wings hits the surface, acting like a drag brake and slowing the boat to a point where the hull comes back down.

Watch out for the composite mast. Use lots of sail lube to keep the head of the sail moving smoothly through the plastic track on the upper third of the mast. Mine split when I used too much force to raise the sail as it was binding.

BTW we've been monohull saliors for the last 15 years, and the Getaway was our first cat. We love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bought our getaway at the begining of last summer....its fully loaded...wings which hobie threw in for free because I did some work with them as part of a school project... we also got the trap wires to help raise the mast solo..then keep it from swinging in our fancy self mast raising rig.

Havn't used the Trap yet while sailing though...you can hang very far off the wing if you hook your feet on the hull and just hold onto the trap wire...

we've never sailed before now dad wont even think of buying a power boat!

You'll LOVE your getaway!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks to all for the information

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I capsized with a 2HP Honda gas outboard and didn't have any problem. Here is the way I installed the Cheata mount: http://www.grigorof.com/cheata.htm
Search YouTube for "hobie getaway fun" to see some clips with the boat, you'll see that when you have some good wind there is some drag from the motor mount (but is worth it).