Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

All winter I've been thrumming with anticipation for the new i11s, gathered all peripherals and I'm a week away from receiving the new kayak.

Few questions remain, namely

1.) what is the recommended post-fishing cleanup for the kayak? I'll be fishing saltwater, and ideally the kayak will live in my car during fishing season. Should I spray it with freshwater before loading it in the car, or can it wait until the next day? I assume it's bad to fold/store the kayak unless it's completely dry?

2.) for the launch: can I load everything onto the kayak and use the i-cart to transport to water's edge? Is there a weight capacity on the cart?

3.) Can I "dry test" the kayak on a carpeted floor, ie inflate, attach the chair and actually sit on it to figure out where I need to attach rod holders/sonar mount, or will this damage the kayak?

4.) finally, I read the other post saying 3-5 psi for the i11s. Is that 3 for the sides and 5 for the middle board, or is it a range of psi? Is there a PSI display on the pump?

Sorry for all the Q's, any input appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the reply, I'll grab a pressure gauge if the i11s doesn't come with one.

Perhaps a Rinse Kit is in my future, at least I can spray down my rods and key points on the kayak.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

reason162 wrote:
Thanks for the reply, I'll grab a pressure gauge if the i11s doesn't come with one.

Perhaps a Rinse Kit is in my future, at least I can spray down my rods and key points on the kayak.

The pump with my i11s does not have a gauge, the pump for my other inflatable kayak does and it connects to the i11s valves for easy pressure check.

For a rinse kit I use a 1 gallon garden sprayer filled with water to rinse everything off before wiping down with a towel to dry.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

dexstrom wrote:
reason162 wrote:

The pump with my i11s does not have a gauge, the pump for my other inflatable kayak does and it connects to the i11s valves for easy pressure check.

For a rinse kit I use a 1 gallon garden sprayer filled with water to rinse everything off before wiping down with a towel to dry.

Hi, do you know the brand/model of your pressure gauge?

I'm looking into the "rinse kit" as a possible solution, though I've used a garden sprayer in the past to good results. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:

I'm looking into the "rinse kit" as a possible solution, though I've used a garden sprayer in the past to good results. Thanks!

The pump is a double action with gauge from Advanced Elements, ~$40 online.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

dexstrom wrote:
Quote:

The pump is a double action with gauge from Advanced Elements, ~$40 online.

I'll check it out, thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I want to use the Hobie pump so rather than use my gauge pump I just picked up one of these from AirKayaks:

I prefer to have consistent pressure so handling in the water is the same each trip, this makes checking pressure easy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

dexstrom wrote:
I want to use the Hobie pump so rather than use my gauge pump I just picked up one of these from AirKayaks:

I prefer to have consistent pressure so handling in the water is the same each trip, this makes checking pressure easy.

Tyvm, I just placed an order.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the rinse kit and wish I didn't spend my money on it. Low capacity and poor water pressure. Your better off with a 2 gallon garden sprayer. If you were near San Diego I would literally give you my rinse kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ddwineguy wrote:
I have the rinse kit and wish I didn't spend my money on it. Low capacity and poor water pressure. Your better off with a 2 gallon garden sprayer. If you were near San Diego I would literally give you my rinse kit.

Excellent info, thanks. Low capacity is a problem, as I plan on rinsing off the yak + hardware + rods/nets etc...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Got the i11s today, very stoked!!

After playing with it all day at home...I'm definitely getting an electric pump; that hand pump is for the birds! Anyone have any suggestions on a compatible electric pump for the i hobies?

Another thing: I gave up putting the boat back in the bag. After 30 minutes of struggle, I've decided to just leave it loosely folded and stick it in the back of my car. Any reason why I need to use the bag?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a Coleman air pump with battery. You'll need an air valve adapter to attach to a hose to the pump, otherwise it won't work with the kayak valves. I hand pump the two outer chambers and let the electric pump fill the main chamber and finish it with the hand pump. The i11s has the NARU style valves, so get the correct adapter.

I use the bag mostly for protection of the boat from sharp objects and dirt, it should be stored with the valves open and you want to avoid getting dirt or water in the valves or chambers of the boat.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

dexstrom wrote:

Unfortunately I tried to take a reading today and the gauge does not fit in the Hobie NARU valve! :cry: I'm not sure if it can be modified to fit, will have to contemplate the problem for awhile.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I got mine last week and tho it doesn't screw on the valve, it does give a reading...you just have to get to eye level to see it.

I thought the 2016 i series has the HR valves?

dexstrom wrote:
dexstrom wrote:

Unfortunately I tried to take a reading today and the gauge does not fit in the Hobie NARU valve! :cry: I'm not sure if it can be modified to fit, will have to contemplate the problem for awhile.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

daft wrote:
I compared that aquaglide digital gauge against my 4 analog ones... it reads 1psi higher than my usual but unloved ashcroft gauge. Then I swapped 3 gauges from pumps and screwed into the aquaglide base/adaptor. They all agreed on a middle point.

So I relegated the pricey digital one to a spare parts box. A nice analog one screws into the digital base (facing up rather than sideways) and gives me a fine compromise. At least for HR valves where it twists in and out without air leakage. More accurate than in-pump gauges which by necessity give different readings on the downstroke vs at rest.

I need to find a reliable analog gauge as well.

My newest acquisition is a double-action hand pump (advanced elements), does require a "new short" halkey roberts valve adapter...but man, what a difference it makes. I manage to get the yak up to 5 PSI (according to the digital gauge), w/o having to use the Hobie gun pump at all.