Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gen 1 vs Gen 2
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I understand the the Gen 2 version of this boat (2015+) was designed to really enhance the sailing abilities of the vessel: bigger sail, deeper draft, bigger amas, etc. However from what I've read, it seems these changes have come at some expense to the vessel's maneuverability and clearance (i.e. it is now more sailboat and less kayak in character).

As someone who is not interested in high speed sailing, but peaceful, stable cruising with the ability to explore shallow inlets while still being able to sail the open waters, would I be better served by the first generation, which is more kayak-like in temperament? I will primarily be using it on the Lake Michigan bays of north-west Michigan.

Thanks for your input!

Post subject: Re: Gen 1 vs Gen 2
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If money is not a problem, go with a 2015 or later. These newer boats (AI 2) have a huge number of improvements over the earlier boats. If you are really thinking of getting a Tandem, I would go the the 2014 or earlier.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There was nothing much at all wrong with the original version. Yes, it makes a better "kayak" particularly in pure kayak mode without amas or sail. What do you figure you'll be doing most- kayaking or sailing? I think I would base my choice on which aspect of the boat is the most important for what I'll be doing. If you'll spend most of your time sailing, get the new one. If you will be up in the creeks and shallow waters in pure pedal or paddle mode, get the original version.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Chekia,

Any specific reason why you would go with a 2014 or earlier TI? I have a 2012 and thinking about a 2016, or waiting a year or two.

And a general/open question about the G2 AI, it looks like the new AI has a deeper/longer centerboard. Does the deeper centerboard help the G2 point up wind higher than the G1?

Ted

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mrbrightwork wrote:
Hey Chekika,

Any specific reason why you would go with a 2014 or earlier TI? I have a 2012 and thinking about a 2016, or waiting a year or two.

And a general/open question about the G2 AI, it looks like the new AI has a deeper/longer centerboard. Does the deeper centerboard help the G2 point up wind higher than the G1?

Ted

I don't think the 2015-2016 TIs have any significant improvements over the 2014 boat, except the seats. The 2 seats add 35-40# (or more) to the weight of the newer boats over a 2014. To me, the chairs (I have one on my 2015 AI) are not worth the additional weight. I made the choice myself and went with a 2014 Tandem over a later model. Ted, if I were you, I would stick with the 2012 TI, and wait for significant improvements in the TI before trading up. BTW, I use the cloth seats with the Hobie i-Comfort inflatable cushions--very comfortable.

Regarding the centerboard on an AI 2 vs the earlier AI: tough question; I don't know the answer.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mrbrightwork wrote:
I feel the AI2 (AI Gen 2) is a better balanced boat. On my first sail, I didn't think it pointed as well into the wind as the 2014 but after many more sails it's pretty easy to make it dance any way you want.

With the older AI's I often felt I needed to leave the seat to counter-balance the force on the sail to push the boat that extra little bit. With the 2015 I never feel I need to leave the seat to "help" the boat achieve it's goals.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
I don't think the 2015-2016 TIs have any significant improvements over the 2014 boat, except the seats. The 2 seats add 35-40# (or more) to the weight of the newer boats over a 2014.

Keith your right about the seats being the only major improvement. However, I believe you've severely over estimated the weight of the seats. They are no more than 5-10 lbs. each. That would only add 10-20 lbs. total, not 35-40. Heck, they might even be lighter than that.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I hear thu the grapevine Hobie will have something major to announce in April, just rumors, I have no idea, hopin for a super TI (like mine lol). Likely not, but it's fun to hope lol.
FE

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
I hear thu the grapevine Hobie will have something major to announce in April, just rumors, I have no idea, hopin for a super TI (like mine lol). Likely not, but it's fun to hope lol.
FE

Your "super" TI can't seem to go any place the wind blows! I sail in winds!

If Hobie is coming out with a upgraded TI, great! Maybe they will come out with a redesigned transom and a bowsprit, and a jib--almost a "super" TI. If they did that, I would consider taking my 2014 TI to the Rockies (something I've wanted to do for a few years), and buy the upgrade for here in FL. I guess we can dream....

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TI_Tom wrote:
Chekika wrote:
I don't think the 2015-2016 TIs have any significant improvements over the 2014 boat, except the seats. The 2 seats add 35-40# (or more) to the weight of the newer boats over a 2014.

Keith your right about the seats being the only major improvement. However, I believe you've severely over estimated the weight of the seats. They are no more than 5-10 lbs. each. That would only add 10-20 lbs. total, not 35-40. Heck, they might even be lighter than that.

Each seat weighs 10# (= 20# for seats), plus the hardware for fastening the seats to the boat which I estimate to be 5# each (= 10# for hardware). We are up to 30#. Now the seat area plastic had to be strengthened to handle the new seats and hardware--my estimate at least 5# of new plastic, maybe 10#.

My estimate: 35-40# for seats, hardware, additional plastic.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Didn't realize you were counting in all the accoutrements with regards to the seat upgrades. If that's the case then, yes, it may be 35-40# in addition. I don't think Hobie changed their weight figures for the '15 TI compared to the '14 and under. Maybe they were able to shave weight in other areas? Although, we all know Hobie's long standing inability to accurately disclose the weight of their boats (at least on the AI/TI).

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TI_Tom wrote:
Didn't realize you were counting in all the accoutrements with regards to the seat upgrades. If that's the case then, yes, it may be 35-40# in addition. I don't think Hobie changed their weight figures for the '15 TI compared to the '14 and under. Maybe they were able to shave weight in other areas? Although, we all know Hobie's long standing inability to accurately disclose the weight of their boats (at least on the AI/TI).

You have that right, Tom. Hobie has mislead customers on the weight of these boats for years. It is an embarrassment for an otherwise quality company.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

fusioneng wrote:
FE

Maybe a Hobie Haka?

Hobie tramps- black

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A Hobie haka is not a major announcement. Just go up to the "...two great new accessories...." and change it to 3.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What would qualify as a major announcement, if you were to guess?

Hobie tramps- black