Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

fusioneng wrote:
chadbach:
Yea that where I found mine at both the Sarasota and Key West Home Depot's (near the signs). Sometimes I can only find the ones with the big ole reflector on the top, I just saw the reflector off ( I have a whole bag of those sawed off reflector tops if anyone wants em ( lol)).
I'm pretty sure Lowes has them also http://www.lowes.com/pd_88829-37672-840 ... way+marker

FE

Now you just need to come up with another genius invention to build out of the reflector tops! :D

Yup, I've seen the fibreglass in the same section at Lowe's as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I already successfully applied a 24" rear extension on the Hobie topper. And it did pretty well. I used stainless rod which worked just fine. It pretty much kept the rear stay line away from the mainsail although not perfect.

BUT !!!!! The problem is in the front with the front Halyard line for AI's. To put a pultrusion on the front of the mast topper would be like putting a lever on it and there would be tremendous forces pulling on it. I know because I've designed several mast toppers in the past. The plastic Hobie topper with a big ole lever attached to the front of it combined with tremendous pulling and side to side forces will disintegrate that topper in no time. Mark my words. And do you think that will be covered by warranty? Ha !

This whole spinnaker thing is turning into a bad joke. And mine's still for sale if anyone wants to buy it. $500 and you pay shipping. PM me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My suggestion of adding the fiberglass pultrusion was just for the snuffer throat, not for the topper. FE, suggested it for the topper. I could see your concern about adding a "lever" to the topper, but if your using the pultrusion it would flex so much that I don't think you would get too much force. It would act more like a guide to hold the line out. I could be wrong though.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TI_Tom wrote:
My suggestion of adding the fiberglass pultrusion was just for the snuffer throat, not for the topper. FE, suggested it for the topper. I could see your concern about adding a "lever" to the topper, but if your using the pultrusion it would flex so much that I don't think you would get too much force. It would act more like a guide to hold the line out. I could be wrong though.

Even minor up and down with a lever on that topper over a period will disintegrate it. That spinnaker jumps around so it wouldn't take long. The flexing of a pultrusion will batter the heck out of those bearings.

What you mentioned Tom is not possible. There is no wiggle room in the snuffer bag or that would have been the first thing I would have modified. It's really tight and pretty much impossible open up any bigger. Unless you cut it open.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Try a tapered sail batten. Commonly used on other boats.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My dealer (Southwind Kayak) sent me a very nice letter and a new halyard line. He said that Hobie realized that the halyard line might be a little short on the original Spinnaker kits for the TI. If you look back at one of my posts, you can see that my halyard line has always been tight, barely tucks fully into the bag and when the Spinnaker is on port, I could use some more slack. also, when tying the sails after the halyard was run through the mast assembly left me wishing for more slack.
Now with the longer halyard line, I should be able to fine tune the tension to make it ideal when the sail is stuffed. 8) Thanks Hobie !

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CaptnChaos. Out of curiosity, did you try moving the snuffer bag further out on the ama and did you try moving it to the port side? Not that I'm trying to convince you to keep the spin. I have mine almost all the way out on the port side. Curious if that changes things and if that's why I not getting the serious snags you guys are. Since the main rotates counter clockwise, I would think the main's batton would be in a more vulnerable position on the starboard side as it makes the first wrap around. Maybe I just haven't been out enough to get them or been in the right winds. My snags were different than what you guys are getting and less of a safety concern as I am still able to furl the main.

Still, even if this helped, I can understand the concern about ripping the spin on the Haka. When snuffing that sail just collapses on the front ama and lays over everything. Not sure if there is a solution for that.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

hjdca wrote:
My dealer (Southwind Kayak) sent me a very nice letter and a new halyard line. He said that Hobie realized that the halyard line might be a little short on the original Spinnaker kits for the TI. If you look back at one of my posts, you can see that my halyard line has always been tight, barely tucks fully into the bag and when the Spinnaker is on port, I could use some more slack. also, when tying the sails after the halyard was run through the mast assembly left me wishing for more slack.
Now with the longer halyard line, I should be able to fine tune the tension to make it ideal when the sail is stuffed. 8) Thanks Hobie !

are you saying that if us TI owners with the spin kit contact our dealers that Hobie will pay for a longer line? there is no way i could put my snuffer all the way out, its in the middle and the line gets tight when snuffed...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

All dealers were notified weeks ago that the TI kit halyard lines were too short. Yes, free replacement.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
All dealers were notified weeks ago that the TI kit halyard lines were too short. Yes, free replacement.

sounds great thanks...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CaptnChaos wrote:
Even minor up and down with a lever on that topper over a period will disintegrate it. That spinnaker jumps around so it wouldn't take long. The flexing of a pultrusion will batter the heck out of those bearings.
I am starting to come around to CaptnChaos implied observation that maybe the SpinKit is not for everybody - and specifically not for me....

Here's a pic of what the rear portion of the halyard line does to my main on one tack: https://picasaweb.google.com/1081497986 ... 2792895474

When actually sailing, it looks much worse that what the pic shows - but I don't have a waterproof cam, so had to take the pix on the beach with my cell phone. ..... It really messes up the sail's foil/shape.

I don't think I am going to sell this thing - more like keep it in the gear box to fool around with on the occasional light air day. .... Who knows? .... Maybe I will eventually see the light and learn to love my SpinKit.

I had hoped that it would be harmless when not used and I'd keep it installed-but-snuffed most of the time.

However between what it does to the sail's shape, the lingering possibility of mainsail furling being disabled at the wrong time, and the obvious entanglement issues with those extra lines laying around - all when snuffed - it seems like the pluses do not outweigh the minuses sufficiently for Yours Truly's everyday use.

To the end of more interesting light-to-moderate air sailing, I think my next step is to shop for a TI mast/sail and see what shakes out of that.

Bigger main gives more oomph on all tacks with no downside exposure because it can be easily reefed to approximate the stock AI sail ..... Seems like there is no downside save the cost - and I don't want my survivors to have too much fun...

Maybe Greater Minds Than Mine can see something negative, but I perceive a better solution there than with the complexity, limited wind angle range, and exposure to furling malfunction of the SpinKit.

And my hands are really sore..... -)

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

Last edited by PeteCress on Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can I make a suggestion for Hobie???

Can you guys make a new main sail that specifically fits the spinnaker kit? Maybe this new main sail could be a lighter fabric and have an outhaul/boom for lighter air conditions. When I say boom, I mean like a small carbon fiber tube... not a huge boom.

If you guys charged $1,000 but the kit was completely refined I would pay it in a heart beat. I figure for another $400 you could manage to set us up with a new "spinnaker/light air main" option!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Also, what about a new spinnaker compliant main sail that also has an attachment point built into the sail for a small jib. Something to just point higher, and help tack faster, not generate tons of power.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

PeteCress wrote:
CaptnChaos wrote:
I am starting to come around to CaptnChaos implied observation that maybe the SpinKit is not for everybody - and specifically not for me....

Here's a pic of what the rear portion of the halyard line does to my main on one tack: https://picasaweb.google.com/1081497986 ... 2792895474

When actually sailing, it looks much worse that what the pic shows - but I don't have a waterproof cam, so had to take the pix on the beach with my cell phone. ..... It really messes up the sail's foil/shape.

I don't think I am going to sell this thing - more like keep it in the gear box to fool around with on the occasional light air day. .... Who knows? .... Maybe I will eventually see the light and learn to love my SpinKit.

I had hoped that it would be harmless when not used and I'd keep it installed-but-snuffed most of the time.

However between what it does to the sail's shape, the lingering possibility of mainsail furling being disabled at the wrong time, and the obvious entanglement issues with those extra lines laying around - all when snuffed - it seems like the pluses do not outweigh the minuses sufficiently for Yours Truly's everyday use.

To the end of more interesting light-to-moderate air sailing, I think my next step is to shop for a TI mast/sail and see what shakes out of that.

Bigger main gives more oomph on all tacks with no downside exposure because it can be easily reefed to approximate the stock AI sail ..... Seems like there is no downside save the cost - and, besides, I don't want my survivors to have too much fun...

Maybe Greater Minds Than Mine can see something negative, but I perceive a better solution there than with the complexity, limited wind angle range, and exposure to furling malfunction of the SpinKit.

And my hands are really sore..... -)

maybe its just me but i dont see how this could happen if one followed Hobies instructions and furled the sail to the first batten when making a tack, maybe i am missing something but thats my observation.....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Carl M wrote:
...maybe its just me but i dont see how this could happen if one followed Hobies instructions and furled the sail to the first batten when making a tack, maybe i am missing something but thats my observation.....
One thing you are missing is that the main sail is subject to unrecoverable batten entanglement each time the furling line is pulled - period........whether the spinnaker is deployed or not.........So simply following Hobie's instructions sets one up for a problem.

If one can get to shore and turn the boat on it's side to clear the entanglement; not such a big problem.

The athletically-inclined could even intentionally capsize the boat in deep water, clear the entanglement, and then right the boat.

OTOH, if one is far from shore and/or in a high-traffic area and/or in high winds; that has potential to become a beeeeeg problem.

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next