Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all!

The man who sold me our Tiger has adjusted the jib self tacker traveller car with a line to limit the elongation of the traveller car. He said this is to adjust the slot in order to achieve a better pointing angle when sailing close to the wind. The line is attached to the jib traveller car and to the center fitting of the traveller track.

I recently made a sailing course on a Laser Stratos dinghy and there you can adjust the slot, so this idea sounded logically to me. I think on the H16 you can also adjust the slot by travelling the jib cleat in or out.

As far as I can say with my limited sailing experience, the pointing angle of my Tiger seems to be really better compared to the state without that adjustment (we loosened and attached the thing and made some experiments). However I feel that the performance on a beam reach or broad reach is worse with the limitation. The guy that sold us the boat used the spin reaching even in heavy wind so he did not have this experience. He sails like hell, but I'm still learning and need also good jib performance when reaching.

Here my questions:
1) Does anybody else have an adjustment like this? What is your experience?
2) If so, how do you trim this limiter? What is the length of that line? Is there a theory how to do it? Sorry for that question, but I am an engineer... :roll:
3) Has anybody a good idea how I can attach a light weight cleat or something like that to the Tiger to make this construction adjustable? I mean to have the full jib traveller elongation on a beam or broad reach and have a smaller slot close to the wind?
4) Would this be in compliance with the Tiger racing rules?

I would appreciate your comments.

Ralf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here my questions:
1) Does anybody else have an adjustment like this? What is your experience?

In all conditions upwind we have our jib traveler car centered over the first stantion in from the end up to around 18 knots then we travel the jib car all the way out to the end.

2) If so, how do you trim this limiter? What is the length of that line? Is there a theory how to do it? Sorry for that question, but I am an engineer...

There are numerous ways to do this, we do it about the simplest way possible by using the roller furling cleat on the front crossbar. No extra cleats need to be mounted and a line only around 18" long. To attach, tie the line to the jib traveler car, go down through the yoke on the end of the spin pole, under the front x-bar, up through the grommet located below the roller furling cleat and then into the roller furling cleat. It is possible to fit both the roller furling line and the jib adjuster line into the one cleat.

3) Has anybody a good idea how I can attach a light weight cleat or something like that to the Tiger to make this construction adjustable? I mean to have the full jib traveller elongation on a beam or broad reach and have a smaller slot close to the wind?

See above answers...

4) Would this be in compliance with the Tiger racing rules?

Yes.[/b]