Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: Reacher
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

PeteCress wrote:
Suggestion: Instead of attaching the aka cheek block with the self-tapping screws, screw it to a 1" wide piece of 3/4" ply and lash it to the aka where you think it belongs. I used a couple of 1" strips of rubber cut from an automobile inner tube.

The Reason: You may find you prefer it more inboard or outboard than you initially thought and now the cheek block can be moved.
Bottom Line: you don't want a permanent installation of that rear aka cheek block until you are sure you have the snuffer bag where you want it.

Great idea, I thought of this, We use our Tramps all the time for hiking out to balance the boat, So the position to mount the cheek block was based on that, I suspect I could just get another If I need to relocate, The complete boat weighs in at just over 200 pounds(when new, no mods), center hull I suspect is about 120 lbs, less fish finder, accessories, battery,bilge pump, safety gear and lights I leave in the hull, and there's always some water to drain out after loading,
Trailer hasn't been in the cards for us, (homeowners association) No room to store it in the garage, The Ti is suspended upside down Above the car in the garage using harken pulley system

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
...(good luck getting a 450lb windrider 17 on your cartop (lol).
WindRider was on my short list briefly - along with Weta and a couple others - until I found out that it was so heavy that a guy in his thirties said he got rid of his because it was too heavy for him to even get up-and-down the beach.

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have been sitting here, (im)patiently waiting to receive my Hobie reacher kit, and reading of all the modifications people seem necessary to avoid a disaster of the rig getting all tangled. I must be a simple-minded character, because I think the following should be foolproof.

Setting sail

No problems, it is irrelevant which sail is deployed first.
Tacking (spinnaker snuffed)
No problems,. slack backstay/spinnaker halyard just goes where the mainsail takes it
Gybing (spinnaker deployed)
In order to avoid the top batten catching on the (now taut) backstay, partially furl the mainsail until the top batten clears the backstay. Unfurl after the gybe
Dropping sails
Furl the mainsail first, while the spinnaker is still deployed and backstay/halyard is taut.

Can't see how there can be any tangles with this, and NO modifications are required. It seems to me all of the issues stem from the (conventional) belief that the mainsail must be the last sail removed.

I totally understand that furling the main momentarily at the end of a downhill run seem counter-intuitive, but the task involves no strength, or major loss of speed, and only takes a moment, so is no big deal IMHO.

Please tell me where my thinking is wrong; I am quite happy to be shot down in flames

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tony your right on all points but most of the time when you furl your main while sailing or comming in for the day, your spinnaker is already snuffed. This is when you can have a tangle. I was out this weekend and had it happen once on me even when I furled slowly.

Yesterday, I used FE's suggestion and hung about 12 inches or so of 1/2in Sharkbite (lightweight PVC tube) to the upper halyard and now get no tangles no matter how hard I try. Problem easily solved (at least on an older AI).

If you relax the backstay, Matt was right, there is no issue with the backstay altering the shape of the main.

I experimented with the single sheet idea and like it. The single sheet becomes my barber hauler, spinnaker sheets and jib sheets all in one line and stores in the side pocket when not in use making the boat much less complex. You just have to remember to secure the free end of the single line sheet to a cleat before you raise any forsails or else the clew gets away from you. A lesson quickly learned.

You have a TI and so far, not one TI owner has spoken up about ANY problems. Once you get you spinnaker, I bet your good out of the box. Maybe you have to utilize the hanging PCV at the top if the halyard.

2016 AI - Spinn & Jib

“Out of sight of land the sailor feels safe. It is the beach that worries him.”
– Charles G. Davis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tony:
Anyone can get anything to work, the point I've been trying to make is why should you have to.

I'm good at analogy's, a good analogy to this would be a refrigerator door, they place those little cross bars on each of the shelves on the fridge door to prevent the content from falling out when you open the fridge. The bars are not necessary at all, if you open the fridge everytime very slowly and carefully there is no need for the bars so why have them at all.

Another example is in one of my area's of oilfields. For many years oil industry depended on strict long and complicated procedures to prevent oilfield workers from getting blown up by making them connect the detonators in a safety tube, then once connected they remove the detonator from the safety tube and place it into the charge. Stupidest solution ever, they were fixing a secondary effect not the root cause of the problem and many people died because of it.

Three wheel lawn mowers work perfectly fine as long as you hold the handle firmly to prevent the mower from dipping and scaving dirt swirls in your yard, so why bother with 4 wheels.

My point being Hobie could have just as easily for the same cost come out with a reliable solution that never tangles, and never has issues if they only had tested it just a little more, and came up with a reliable tangle free solution, I'm a little dissapointed that they simply didn't spend enough time debugging the thing before throwing out a half baked design.

I have personally experienced some of the same tangling and fowling problems a long time ago, and they put me into some pretty bad situations. I eventually worked thru them and came up with reliable trouble free solutions (for my own purposes only), my only point on the entire matter is why couldn't Hobie have done the same. I don't mean to be critical of the guy I talked to a couple years ago at the EC, but I sat and talked to him for quite some time and explained in detail the serious problems they were going to have. Almost two yrs later they release the thing without addressing any of the fundamental issues, that's my beef, now it is what it is ( a three wheel mower).

Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bob, you must have missed the bit where I said I was not critical of those people making wholesale modifications, even to the point where the majority of the reacher kit is binned.

Sorry Bob, but while I can understand that Hobie might have been able to make it more foolproof, I do not think that my above procedures represent anything outrageous. I have simply followed logic. You will note that my procedures require ZERO equipment modifications, certainly not a metre long topper (don't see many of those on other boats). AGAIN, I stress I am not criticising those making such modifications. I am simply offering hope to potential reacher users that if they follow a few simple procedures (and they ARE simple aren't they Bob?), they can enjoy their reacher kit.

I can do analogies as well.... We all know how to remove our shoes and socks, but I am not interested in finding out how to remove my socks first :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I suspect I will take up vetgam's suggestion regards a short piece of pvc at the top of the halyard, as I also suspect I will use a similar piece to stretch open the snuffer throat just a touch to make swallowing the reacher smoother while the sail material is still crisp.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tony:
I probably should have just kept my mouth shut, and not said anything (oops).
As you know I've always been a big TI fan, and still have a bit of a sore spot over the Hobie jib that was promised to be in development, and soon to be released when I bought my first TI back in 2010 but never got released. I had cash in hand ready to buy a new H16 when I went to the dealer back in 2010, but they convinced me to get the then brand new to the market TI instead, no regrets except once I got the boat home, the performance wasn't what I was expecting, and was really counting on the Hobie jib as a follow up option shortly after I got my TI, it never came,,,,, and I ended up having to design and build all my own stuff to get the boat where I wanted it, (still pretty sore about that one).

Knowing you to be an expert sailer and very practical, hopefully once you and others get your hands on the spinnaker kits, you will be able to quickly work out the apparent kinks. I should probably stay out of it.

FE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
Tony:
... I should probably stay out of it.

FE

Are you kidding FE???

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yea kinda late for that statement I guess

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11