Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm a new Bravo owner and love the boat so far. I do have a couple of questions:

1. The mainsheet line always wants to cleat itself. Page 12 of the manual details a process where you remove 3 screws from the mainsheet block to change the angle of the cleat. I removed the screws and couldn't get anything to move. Has anyone else done this successfully? Any tips?

2. Page 20 of the manual details rudder rake adjustment. It refers to a rake-adjusting screw. I don't see a screw where the diagram refers on my Bravo rudder. Is this just a general instruction set, and the Bravo rudder adjustment screw is in a different location?

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:32 am 
Site Admin

How old is the boat?

There is no rake adjustment in current Bravo rudders using EZ Loc rudders.

Current manual: http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/bravo-manual.pdf?_ga=1.265538703.1282602363.1410457879

The manual indicates one additional step in adjusting the jaws... you have to pry them away from the housing:

Adjusting the angle of the Mainsheet cleat After removing the three adjustment screws from
the side of the block, unfasten one side of the cleat by unscrewing one
of the top screws. This will allow the cleat arms to spread apart much
easier.
Completely removing the cleat is not necessary. If it is removed, be sure to
note its orientation on the mounting arms.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

WHOA THERE! I did that to my wife's main sheet. The first time I did it I pulled them too far apart and all the guts fell out. Took me two (2) days and some really creative thinking to put that thing back together. The instructions caution care when doing this. I have adjusted mine twice more and finally got the angle right. Just. Pry the two sides apart just bearly. I'm talking just a tiny bit. Works well just be careful.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is not an answer... just comments on the question.

I just spent a couple of weeks with my boat (Lake Conroe... video coming soon) and found the jam cleat a great device, but when gusty it would lock at the most inconvenient time... right when you need to dump the wind. I have it installed so that to release, you "whip" the sheet down toward the deck. Should the jam release be up?

Most of the time the jam cleat was super and kept from cutting the circulation off in my hand from the constant sheet tension.

I found the rudder assembly is an amazing design. The tiller handle actuates the rudder up and down, very cool. Kudos to Hobie. No adjustment screw, but there was NO weather helm to adjust out. Even in a blow, the boat would stay put with no pressure on the tiller at all.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I made the adjustment and widened the angle (about 20 Degrees) so that when you tension the sheet, it does not enter the jam teeth. Now you have to pull up to lock. Much better.

Mine was brand new. So if that is any indication, the default position is not the best.