Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought a 1981 H16 everything looks great except for the Hulls. The boat was used as a beach boat for most of its long life, hence the bottom of the hull is nicely worn and aged and the fibergalss is clearly visible. One side of the hull was patched up after a hole, so its looks could be improved. I would like an educated opinion on what I should do with them, Re-gel coat it? paint it? ANy Ideas???

I still plan to keep it a beach boat, but I would love to improve its boat speed and looks as well keeping it around for another 20 years.

thanks for the advice. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

CTSailor wrote:
I just bought a 1981 H16 everything looks great except for the Hulls. The boat was used as a beach boat for most of its long life, hence the bottom of the hull is nicely worn and aged and the fibergalss is clearly visible. One side of the hull was patched up after a hole, so its looks could be improved. I would like an educated opinion on what I should do with them, Re-gel coat it? paint it? ANy Ideas???

If you can see the weave of the glass then I would definately cover it with something. If it appears that some of the fiberglass has been worn away, I'd probably put another layer or two over the damage. If the weave is just a little exposed then I'd put a layer of flox over it for protection and then you could put fresh gelcoat over that, or paint if you prefer.

Hope that helps!

Warm regards,

Jim.

Post subject: West Systems
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just used epoxy from West Systems to completely restore my 79' 16. It was very easy to work with and no oder. You can mix it to different consistencies, use it with glass mat and color it with pigment if you want. I then used an epoxy primer and a urethane enamel top coat. The boat came out excellent and I'm very happy. I'm not sure how to post a photo or I would. This past weekend, I had to beach it on some big rocks in rough water, I was there for an hour. I did get some scrathes in the top coat but nothing though the prime. I didn't plan to put a clear coat on until fall so I can touch it up. I found all my info on the net, and realized I had three, "West Systems" dealers with 15 mile of my house.
I put in a lot of hours but it was worth it.

Buxton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mail me the picture and I'll host it for a few weeks if you want. :)

JaimeZX (at) aol (dot) com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you all for your helpful info. I will try and get some pics so we can discuss further.