Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mine is completely stock, and after a few outings...I feel slow compared to other hobies. My friend's outback is significantly faster at an easier cadence; ofc they all have turbo fins, but maybe it's the difference in hull shape? Is the difference with turbos/ST fins that noticeable for those of you who tried both in the i11s?

Also, comments on the sailing rudder appreciated as well. Should I go ahead and upgrade both fins and rudder?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are two different kinds of fins, the st-turbo fins (same length as standard fins and fit on the same rods), then the turbo fins, much larger but you have to buy the kit (with new shafts). Definately get the Turbo fins not the St-turbo fins. Most people have the turbo fins, and the come standard on the bigger boats. While you are at it, if you don't have a glide drive you may wat to get the upgrade kit to upgrade your drives to the new glide technology, the difference is like night and day. BTW, I'm not certain but I think all the new glide drives come stock with the ST-turbo fins (the smaller ones).
Hope this helps
FE

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ok, on the i11s, I assume I have the G2 drive already.

Are you saying there is a ST, ST Turbo, and Turbo fins? What is the difference between ST and ST turbo if they are the same length?

fusioneng wrote:
There are two different kinds of fins, the st-turbo fins (same length as standard fins and fit on the same rods), then the turbo fins, much larger but you have to buy the kit (with new shafts). Definately get the Turbo fins not the St-turbo fins. Most people have the turbo fins, and the come standard on the bigger boats. While you are at it, if you don't have a glide drive you may wat to get the upgrade kit to upgrade your drives to the new glide technology, the difference is like night and day. BTW, I'm not certain but I think all the new glide drives come stock with the ST-turbo fins (the smaller ones).
Hope this helps
FE

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

YES! Get the turbo fins and sailing rudder. I was surprised at how much of an improvement they are to my i11s. Way faster on the cruise, minimal input to move the rudder. Definitely worth the price. Make sure you get the V2 turbo fins, not the old style.

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

reason162 wrote:
Mine is completely stock, and after a few outings...I feel slow compared to other hobies. My friend's outback is significantly faster at an easier cadence; ofc they all have turbo fins, but maybe it's the difference in hull shape? Is the difference with turbos/ST fins that noticeable for those of you who tried both in the i11s?

Also, comments on the sailing rudder appreciated as well. Should I go ahead and upgrade both fins and rudder?

I think that 'ST' means 'square tip' and 'Turbo' means longer (with longer masts).

I am happy with the ST Turbo fins on the GT drive that came with my i11s.

I am still testing 3 rudders- standard, sailing, and a PA12 (modified to fit the twist and stow). I am fishing a large lake for 4 days next week and planning to try them each in calm and windy conditions and see if a favorite emerges from the group...cheers, roger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

reason162 wrote:

Yes, I would and have done both upgrades and very happy with the results. If you have someone with the upgrades that would let you demo it, try and if you like it then buy it...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks everyone for the input, I went ahead and upgraded to turbo fins, will test them out this weekend. Couldn't find the sailing rudder locally, might wait to upgrade rudder along with steering wire (also waiting on rogerdodger's rudder comparison!)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

rogerdodger wrote:
I am still testing 3 rudders- standard, sailing, and a PA12 (modified to fit the twist and stow). I am fishing a large lake for 4 days next week and planning to try them each in calm and windy conditions and see if a favorite emerges from the group...cheers, roger

Looking forward to the review. Are you still using the skeg on your i11s?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

reason162 wrote:
rogerdodger wrote:

Looking forward to the review. Are you still using the skeg on your i11s?

sometimes. skeg has an (as expected) big impact on paddling but also makes the steering sluggish...looking forward to getting in some strong winds, really impressed so far by the behavior of the i11s in the wind...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

well I tested out the rudders in some rather windy conditions, small white (~1.5') whitecaps, and the Hobie sailing rudder worked the best for me on the i11s. I was fully loaded with my BlackPac, milk crate, big net up in the air, sonar up front, and a downrigger (which worked great, I will post a thread on that after I get time to take some pictures)....the sailing rudder allowed me to always go the direction that I wanted to go. (I could still hit 5mph briefly fully loaded) without the extra gear and weight on the boat, the standard rudder is fine, but fully loaded with the extra wind resistance of the boxes and net, the sailing rudder is what I will be using. cheers, roger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

rogerdodger wrote:
well I tested out the rudders in some rather windy conditions, small white (~1.5') whitecaps, and the Hobie sailing rudder worked the best for me on the i11s. I was fully loaded with my BlackPac, milk crate, big net up in the air, sonar up front, and a downrigger (which worked great, I will post a thread on that after I get time to take some pictures)....the sailing rudder allowed me to always go the direction that I wanted to go. (I could still hit 5mph briefly fully loaded) without the extra gear and weight on the boat, the standard rudder is fine, but fully loaded with the extra wind resistance of the boxes and net, the sailing rudder is what I will be using. cheers, roger

Great info, looks like I'll be getting the sailing rudder next!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Got the turbo fins installed, and it makes a significant difference on my i11s. Faster top speed, but more importantly, slower cadence to reach/maintain cruising speed. This + putting chair in high position has virtually eliminated any back strain.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

rogerdodger wrote:

I'm very interested in your downrigger setup, can you post some pictures? Thanks