Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:52 am 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

With the great feedback and success of the 9'3" Corky Carroll model, we have created a smaller version at 8'9". We're looking forward to having the first ones available for sale by the end of the year! Great for someone looking for a proper surfing SUP, but doesn't want to lose the stability and relaxation you get from some additional volume.

Length: 8’ 9” / 266.7 cm
Width: 33” / 83.8 cm
Thickness: 4.8” / 12.19 cm
Volume: 159.9 L

A little more reading about Corky Carroll and the introduction of the 9'3" last year:

Considered the greatest competitor of “California’s Golden Age”, Corky Carroll is a
name that is synonymous with the evolution of the modern surfing industry.

A competitive surfer since he was 11, Corky’s flashy yet functional surfing style, along
with a sharp wit and infectious charisma landed him surfing’s first paid endorsement
deal with Hobie. As surfing’s first official professional, he was the US Men’s champ in
1966, 1967 and 1969, and Overall Champion from 1966 through 1970. A multiple champ
of the USSA and WSA in the ‘60s, he placed third in the 1966 World Contest in San
Diego, won the International Big Wave Championship in Peru in 1967 and the World
Small Wave Championships in Florida in 1968. He won the Surfer Poll Award as the
best surfer in the world in 1968, and in 1996 was inducted into the Surfing Hall of Fame.

Corky and his long relationship with Hobie placed him at the forefront of surfboard
development. His Hobie Mini Model, introduced in 1967, was the first production
shortboard in America, and his Deadly Flying Glove model furthered the evolution. He
was one of the first to convert to twin fins in 1971 and was featured in a number of surf
films in the ‘60s and ‘70s, including MacGillivray-Freeman’s Five Summer Stories.

Fast forward to 2015, and still a very active surfer, Corky was naturally drawn to SUP
Surfing. With a few phone calls to Hobie, the design wheels started to spin, and the
CC933 Model was born.

“I designed this to be a performance surfing SUP that can be ridden by anybody,
beginner to expert. Being a bit wider than most SUPs it gives an amazing amount of
stability to a board only 9' 3" in length”.

The CC933 features duel bottom concaves in the mid to tail section, along with cutting
edge “chine” rails. “This baby will go extremely fast yet turn on a dime. My thinking
is that I wanted a SUP that would surf as closely to my prone midsize surfboard as
possible, yet give me the flexibility of a full size SUP, the best of both worlds.”