Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

ok, I bought my new tramp and went to the lake all set to slip it on only to find out that my 17 is one of the early ones that has no openings in the crossbars. What was that engenieer thinking? He should have been banished from Hobie for lack of common sense.

anyway, my plan is to take a metal grinding bur and my drill up tomorrow and make the openings in the crossbars like they have in the newer ones and the 18. Any issues with this idea? Also, how wide should I go? 2 inches? Should I cut only the bottom or both top and bottom?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think the thinking was that with only 4 bolts needing to be removed, the boat would be easy enough to disassemble for tramp replacement. Also, the original tramps on the 17 were one and two piece construction which may have been difficult to install with the boat assembled.

I don't think a 2" wide opening is going to be large enough. I would guess the openings are closer to 4 or 5" long. I think you will need to grind both the top and bottom but be sure to remove only enough material to get the bolt rope in. If you go too far, you could blow through the crossbar.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I will take it slow, the biggest pain of it will be that the old tramp is a one piece, so I honestly cannot remove it till I make the openings, and removing the crossbars is not a great option as my boat is on the trailer and the mast is up but the tramp is come pompletly unsown in the front so standing on the tramp to drop the mast is hard, and honestly there is not really a good place to put the boat on the ground to work on it. Sooo, grinder it is. I am good with these type of burs so it should go ok!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

ok all is done, but despite my best efforts in the front crossbar I did end up with a very small hole in to the center of the crossbar, I could not remove the old tramp to see well what I was doing until I had the opening cut, and end result opps.... I know it will not give me structural issues as it is very small, it is like the size of 1/4 of a toothpick if you laid it on the face. My question is simple, if water enters there is there somewhere that it can drain out. I am guessing that it should as the hole to acess the bolts to fix them to the pontoons are not really sealed, and the main ball that the mast attaches to is also not sealed, just screwed down, but I have never had one of the crossbars off to know if they would drain. I am guessing they are open on the end and just but up against the pontoon or slide in but not water tight. Can anyone enlighten me? I will probably put some sealer either way.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Water entering through the hole will not be an issue. The crossbars are not sealed (look at where the dolphin striker rod passes through the bottom of the crossbar). Water will drain out the ends of the crossbars for the most part, however a small amount will always pool where the crossbar seats against the casting at the edge of the hull.

sm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

thank you, that is what I thought!!! It did turn out good!!! wasent really wanting to remove the crossbars just to replace the tramp, the bolts were tight, I really did not have a good place to put the boat on the ground and dropping the mast with a ripped tramp was not going to be fun!!!