Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Recently, I was 5 miles off shore with my wife fishing when suddenly the fwd left AkA detached from the the fwd crossbar. Fortunately, the winds and seas were calm and I was able to reinsert the AKA back into the cross bar. We aborted the trip and when I got home I played with the AKAs and determined that it only took a short, sharp tug on the fwd, left AKA to have it pop out. By coincidence, a few days later I received a new fwd crossbar from Hobie, due to a weld crack on the mast receiver. By looking at the old and new cross bar and playing with different possibilities, I determined the failure was due to the AKA retaining clip on the fwd crossbar. I believe these clips wear out and need replacing. I my case, my old clips had lost about half there outward spring ability and was not fully engaging the AKA knuckle. Below is a picture of the clip:

I have emailed Brandon at Hobie to identify a part number and order new ones, but he has not yet got back to me. I recommend everyone check this item for potential failures.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How much usage has your Island done? (not just the model year, as a near new one sailed nearly daily might wear out stuff quicker than a "now and then" older one.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I take the boat out 2-3 times per month, but when I do take it out, it is in the ocean 5-6 miles offshore. The boat is amost 2 years old.

Brandon got back to me and the part number is 79520601. 

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For them to lose their tension, I assume you remove the akas every time when you store your Island?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Actually, I store my boat on a trailer and almost never remove the AKAs from the crossbar.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

this is a bit concerning, hobie need to make a manual for things we need to check on the boat before going out. I would hate to be 10 ks of shore and this happen in bad weather.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thank you, Steve, for personally demonstrating the issue to me a couple of weeks ago. It was discomforting to witness your akas detach with so little outward pressure.

On my TI too, the crossbar-AKA retaining clips have begun to weaken. A small outward jerk, and the akas detach from the crossbars. Not cool.

When not sailing, I store my TI on its trailer in my garage. It has very limited exposure to the outside elements.

Before I order new ones, I wish to know from Hobie... What is the life span we should expect from these clips? Have there been any improvement to them over time?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is very worrying. I am fitting safety lines immediately.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have had the same problem. Forward aka kicks out, boat tips over, rear aka bends and rips the opening at end of cross bar.

Replaced the rear cross bar. Now the U shaped retaining plastic clips are wearing and won't keep the aka in again.
I trailer and keep covered , keep the akas in year round, and use the boat 6 times a year maybe 10. Mostly lakes, light waves when a boat goes by. 2x a year on ocean with bigger waves. To me its a design flaw, the edge of these U retaining clips is only 2-3mm , and the prongs eventually bend in permanently, no spring inside to keep outward pressure.

I am contacting my dealer for replacement U retaining clips, but the repair is not easy, they are mounted inside the crossbar about 9 inches up inside it...getting it out was a bear, the phillips head screws were torqued way too tight and strip on removal. Phillips heads are intentionally designed to not allow this much torgque so removing them is not easy...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i have had the same problem. its a design issue I think. The removal and replacement of this part is not trivial. when it fails and the aka kicks out, the boat tips and stresses greatly the other aka, and can rip the end of the crossbar (with the other aka still in taking all the load) - has happened to me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ashe last post (mine) was actually 4 1/2 years ago, it would seem that the occurrence of this issue is extremely rare, especially when it can be totally avoided for less that $5 worth of Hobie dyeema rudder line.

Just tie the akas together across the boat. They will NEVER come out unless you want them to....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I first experienced this, when my boat was about a year old! It is a 2014 TI Hull. It happens to be my Rear Starboard Aka, that was coming out. After it did it the first time, I made sure to have parachute cord aboard to lash the Aka to the Crossbar! When you have it lashed tight, when the Ama's are out, it merely slackens when you fold it in! I thought about this issue, and found out my "Fix" was actually done by some owners in Hawaii, they have called it a "Hardening" solution! To me, anyway, I feel we all need to do this fix!!! My issue occurred when I was in calm waters, I certainly would not ever want it to occur when the conditions were bad, and I was far from landfall! Not good!

So, as my Rubber Boot on the Xbar was deteriorating anyway......cracking all over, I ordered 4 new ones. I call it the boot, but is like an End Cap on the end of each xbar ( Crossbar ), that is screwed on top and bottom! You have to take the Xbar off, to actually replace them, then reinstall! I may do that eventually, but have the Boot already ordered, to do it when I get "Round Tuit" ! :lol:

The only way I can see that the screws that hold the Spring Clip in can actually seize when taking them off, is because of Galvanic Corrosion which occurs when two dissimilar metals allow for it to corrode just enough for them to seize? They simply screw into Plastic Spring Clips, so it seizes on the contact area of the Stainless Screw, and the Aluminum Crossbar! Spray liberally with PB Blaster and let it sit for a couple of hours, or if they are really stubborn, just drill the heads off with a slightly larger drill bit! I took the Spring Clip out did try and expand it, and it broke way too easily! It is plastic that has a weird consistency like bubble gum that has hardened, and breaks! They should be Nylon, if anything?

Getting back to the real fix here folks, this is what I did, and it works like a charm. I believe this should be done this way at the factory, as it is much better, and cannot fail! As said, it has been dubbed " Hardening", and what it consists of is a Stainless Steel Double Wire Snapper Pin ( Identified as other things elsewhere, Hitch Pin, commonly )! Here is the P/N reference https://www.fastenal.com/products;jsessionid=2DC24603BC649C1B7B58EAC238CE0829.fcomjvm03?%20term=11104144&searchMode=

So, you take the pin part of this Snapper Pin, and find the closest Drill Bit size to it. You go to that Rubber End Cap, put the Aka in it's Xbar slot, make sure it is all the way in, and drill a hole Horizontally through the Xbar, through the Aka piece and through the other side of the end piece! It is that easy, and you never have to worry about it ever coming out again........Done!

I will post pics, once I Upload them to a hosting site, currently they are on my hard drive, and do not see how I can do that here?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Why not just drill through and put a solid pin and ring ding on? I take the AKAs off about once a year. The pin would not be a problem and would eliminate any potential separation? Not fond of more small lines holding the boat together in case of failure.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Or just drill the hole and use a #8 or #10 stainless screw and locknut since you might have trouble finding a long enough pin (also not fond of lines). The screw is very easy to find at any hardware store. I also almost never remove the Aka's (boat stays on a trailer). Old thread so maybe this is no longer an issue on newer boats but if that part wears even if you dont remove the akas.. maybe the extra fastener would also keep the wear from happening in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

quattroguy wrote:
Why not just drill through and put a solid pin and ring ding on? I take the AKAs off about once a year. The pin would not be a problem and would eliminate any potential separation? Not fond of more small lines holding the boat together in case of failure.

Sure that would work, as well! I just like the bigger device to work with! I can see me dropping a Pin in the water, and it is gone forever, I suppose? More small lines? No small lines in that contraption I put on! I will carry a spare for JUSTIN......case, that is!!! :shock:

walt wrote:
Or just drill the hole and use a #8 or #10 stainless screw and locknut since you might have trouble finding a long enough pin (also not fond of lines). The screw is very easy to find at any hardware store. I also almost never remove the Aka's (boat stays on a trailer). Old thread so maybe this is no longer an issue on newer boats but if that part wears even if you dont remove the akas.. maybe the extra fastener would also keep the wear from happening in the first place.

Yep, that'll work too, but see my response above.....same dealio......and you need a screwdriver as well! The Stainless Clips are like 7 bucks each......of course the regular steel ones are easier to get, but I stopped by Lowe's Hardware, and all they had were the steel ones at 6 bucks each! I have not removed my AKA's on this boat yet, but do on my AI all the time! Just makes sense to me to use what I described, but hey, Someone just may have a better idea? Please post, if you do!!!