Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Joe. Sorry if I confused you. This topic was opened by someone asking for Ama recommendations that's why I posted here that video I found in YouTube created by Ricky. I was just sharing what I saw in YouTube while I was researching for a more stable outboard mounting system.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Mate of mine fit the large finns outriggers to his pa and we sailed yesterday in 25kt + winds

I was impressed as - he had the 3m star sail and it went like (censored) off a shovel - its not as fast as the ai we were with but hey neithers my revo - and stability - sheeyit - ol fatboy ray can stand on his outrigger - ive got the large finns on mine and i can push mine under - to flip his yak would be really difficult - pitchpoling down a wave or getting hit side on or suchlike.

The upwind performance was pretty good - i followed him upwind - and it was howling - well over 25kts and looking at the gps he was aiming at 40 and acheiving 30 degree tacks with the sideslip taken into account.

Tbh i was very sus on how it would go if he got caught coming home into a howler and i was impressed

Where we were was sheltered waters - so just a wind wave and a tiny bit of swell but still it went a lot better than you would think.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Very cool!

I've often thought a hybrid between the PA and TI would be a dream fishing set-up (albeit around 350lbs) with a place to mount a motor and designed to get on a plane (maybe this is impossible boats either sails or motor-planes.) Sitting up higher out of our 50F waters is appealing.

Wind and a small outboard is much cheaper than running a twin-outboard boat offshore, with some big mirage flippers as back-up and a paddle (perhaps oar-locks) ;)

It would definitely be a boat, but in a niche class of it's own.