Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am converting my 17 to a sport, I will mount the cleat/fairleads to the front crossbar like the sport, but where is the correct position, in other words how far out from the mast on each side?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

http://www.apsltd.com/bullet-exit-w-150-cam-bec.html
These are what I was considering, but I am having second thoughts and considering using hobie 16 jib sheet block and tracks. The only question is, will pitting multiple bolts in the top of the front crossbar cause more cracks than these things already get?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:09 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Both are centered 18 1/4" (464 mm) from the center of the crossbeam. The eye strap is a bit forward and down so that it doesn't interfere with the lead to the cleat. On my boat, it's just forward of the integrated track.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:12 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

cavi wrote:
http://www.apsltd.com/bullet-exit-w-150-cam-bec.html
These are what I was considering, but I am having second thoughts and considering using hobie 16 jib sheet block and tracks. The only question is, will pitting multiple bolts in the top of the front crossbar cause more cracks than these things already get?
Don't use these because the block won't align with the load.
Use these and forget the track:
Mount on the same base as the traveler cleat (these are the traveler cleats on new boats).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

the image is not showing. Will hobie 16 tracks hurt my front crossbar? I found two complete tracks and blocks for under 60....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

found the rostans, those were also in consideration. would only two self tapping screws be strong enough to hold them down or would I have to run screws all through the crossbar and a nut underneath?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:44 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

cavi wrote:
the image is not showing. Will hobie 16 tracks hurt my front crossbar? I found two complete tracks and blocks for under 60....
I wouldn't be comfortable drilling that many holes in the front crossbar - for something that you don't really need (adjustable jib cars).

cavi wrote:
found the rostans, those were also in consideration. would only two self tapping screws be strong enough to hold them down or would I have to run screws all through the crossbar and a nut underneath?
The forward part of the base plate is held on with a 3/16" SS pop-rivet. The cleat is held on with 2 self-tappers that go though to the crossbeam and a bolt/nut through just the base plate. That's the way the OEM 17 Sport jib cleats are mounted. (Just like the main traveler cleat.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If anyone has a picture of one of the cleats mounted I would appreciate it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:19 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

cavi wrote:
If anyone has a picture of one of the cleats mounted I would appreciate it.
Look at your main traveler cleat. It's the same thing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

you missunderstood me, I get that it is like the traveler in the aft, what i want to know is do I just hook them to the crossbeam with 2 self tapping screws or do I drill althe way through the crossbeam and run two long screws with nuts?

Another question, I got a hobie furler, it is flat on one side and the top has two side arms and a attachment plate, does the forestay run through the flat part and then the two sides and plate end up on the bottom?

On a good note, I took my boat out today for the 5th time and it went great, finally clicked with the tacking technique, didn't miss one tack!!!