Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am not a real good performance test for the EPO blades either. I am big, slow, heavy, and haven't raced seriously for many years. I do plan to sail the national though, and really wanted to hash this out here rather than spend any amount of time hashing it out in "the room" when I could otherwise be partying with friends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had a chance to sail the boat in a breeze with the EPO2 blades. It felt really good, but I still haven't had a chance to sail next to anyone with stock blades to see how/if pointing or speed are really changed. My sails are so old now, I doubt the rudder would have any noticable difference.

Post subject: 2007 nats
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Alright 20 sailors, bring it on! We're getting ready for you. Should be a great event.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

%^$@&@(**(

Post subject: rudders
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I thought the 20s were thicker, maybe just because they use the wider cam. I was also pretty sure the 20s were longer (don't know if they need to be; the 20 never seems to be short of rudder authority :-)

I do KNOW the 20 rudders are prone to ventilation/cavitation at 25 mph or so... The Tornado rudders and some Acats and the new Hobie Europe EPOs have that concave back section just to prevent this, or so I'm told.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:
I do KNOW the 20 rudders are prone to ventilation/cavitation at 25 mph or so...
Yea, I'm sure that was Hammonds problem. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So whats up with this idea? Someone want to make a formal request of some kind to see if we can get the EPO/EPO2 to be Class Legal on the Hobie 20? I have broke on of my 20 rudders already and it was big bucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

xanderwess wrote:
So whats up with this idea? Someone want to make a formal request of some kind to see if we can get the EPO/EPO2 to be Class Legal on the Hobie 20? I have broke on of my 20 rudders already and it was big bucks.

See this post. Maybe we should bring it back to the top? But again, how many 20 HCA class racers read or post on this forum? You, me, Page, Hammond, bommer, ?.
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=5527

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why don't you guys, or one that has the time, email all the sailors that are on Hobie 20s, write a petition and present it to the Hobie Class and the Nationals event Coordinator, to get an instant ruling.

I do not think you will influence the class to make a ruling that would go into effect before April 2008. That is why I think you can contact the event chairman to have this added to the Sailing Instructions.

You should be able to go to the Nationals events from the past and the regattas in the areas that the 20s are still sailed to get the names. When you get the names it will be easy to lookup the email addresses for those people. Do you think there are more than 100 sailors interested? That should be a fine number to present to the different authorities.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There's a Hobie 20 specific email list for Div 3. Contact one of the norcal 20 sailors and see if you can send an email to their list. It would reach pretty much all of the 20 sailors here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hammond wrote:
First, it was not my intent to start a battle. The question was just that, a question.

Second, I am not sure the EPO blades violate the letter of the rules, but the EPO blades may violate the intent, hence the question. I do not want to split hairs on this. One design racing is just that.

The Hobie 20 rule 1.1 Rudder blades, rudder assemblies and dagger boards shall be stock as supplied by the HOBIE CAT CO. Only HOBIE CAT CO. supplied after market rudders are allowed to replace stock rudders.

The EPO blade is a HOBIE CAT CO. supplied after market rudder. The question is was the intent to allow any Hobie Cat supplied rudder to be legal or only the exact same molded rudder made out of other material?

The EPO blades look cool, are slightly smaller, and may be stiffer. The real question is the question of performance. I am not sure if there is any difference either positive or negative.

So, given that the EPO2 is a Hobie Cat Co. supplied after market rudder, I still think I am in the rule.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hammond wrote:
The EPO blades look cool, are slightly smaller, and may be stiffer. The real question is the question of performance. I am not sure if there is any difference either positive or negative.

And my REAL real question is of safety.