Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just walked away from a great deal on this 10 year old Oasis because it didn't have the newer cam lock system. But it was in otherwise excellent condition. Had a cover, the beach wheels, sailing rudder, turbo fins.... The rudder cables (I think they were originally cables) were replaced with amsteel blue, which was probably another benefit of a "vetted" kayak.

Did I make a mistake?

I was thinking that the newer 180 drives wouldn't work with the older "twist lock" system... but it appears that this might actually be possible now that I've gotten home and done some light reading. I hate that Hobie is always improving their kayaks. :x I'm really just bitter... :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anybody?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Okay, I'll bite.
My biggest concern with pre-2009 Hobies is the mirage well area. These older kayaks are known for cracking in this area, especially if you use newer upgraded turbo fins.
With that in mind, what is the risk worth to you. Worst case scenario, it cracks, and basically the hull is worthless. All you got is a paddle and 2 standard hobie mirage drives. Worth about $500.
So how much are you willing to bet on the hull? Personally I wouldn't risk more than $250.
So there you got it, if your willing to live with the older seats and the risk of fatal cracking. $750
Can add a few bucks more for additional gear that is transferable. In your case, offer $750 but go $850 if it closes the deal.

Another thing I should add, if they we're using turbo drives, which it sounds like they we're, you have to test the kayak on the water for leaks under pedal power. Sometimes you can't see those cracks. Bring a flashlight and while popping your head in the hatch, check for cracks or even broken cam columns, which is what Hobie used in those older yaks.

Last edited by CR Yaker on Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Existing drives could have substantial wear and be early weaker models unless they have been updated.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We are tandem people and owned a 2008 Oasis, we used for three yrs traveling all over the country kayak sailing, at the time it was the best tandem boat available on the market. The boat came with V1 mirage drives which can easily be upgraded to V2, and even Glide tech, as well as turbo fins (when upgrading most of the parts are replaced), and you can replace the main shaft. Yea the rudder up down lever kind of sucked, but it did work, and the twisting and screw down mirage clamps were the staple for many years with very few issues, until something better came along.
Yea the newer Oasis's are even better, but also way more expensive if you can even find a used one.
We can't make a decision for you, keep in mind though 80% of the people who buy kayaks use them for a short period of time, then they just sit ( like tread mills), yea I'm gonna exercise every day and get in shape, then reality sets in.
Hobies are the best out there, and are typically bought by people as their second purchase after they realized they like kayaking and want to continue with the sport.
Here in Florida there is a cheap paddle kayak in literally every other back yard rotting away (all bought with good intentions).
Even that old 2008 Oasis is superior to most new paddle yaks in my opinion.
Don't know what to tell you.
FE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

What was the price? Helps to know if you made a mistake or not... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The older twist-lock drive locking system is a potential risk that I would suggest you might be better to walk away from. The newer system is better and less prone to breakage which would not now be covered under warranty on a boat of that vintage. IMO you would spend your money more wisely on a boat with the click'n'go system and though you may have to pay a bit more you would be reducing your risk considerably.