Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I found something interesting the other night... it might have been somewhere on this forum. But I have wanted a way to check my battery volt levels, and did not realize there was a volt level indicator built into most of the Lowrance units.

Berleypro has a great blog post documenting how to view this and add it as overlay data on the Elite series, and the Ti series. It also includes a nice volt to % charge conversion at the end.

https://www.berleypro.com/story/

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Very nice install STLKayak.

Can you please post a few StructureScan side images from your set up using the Hobie/Lowrance ready mount for the TotalScan transducer? I am curious if the StructureScan side images go fully to the edge for wide scans.

From some of the photos I have seen with the new Hobie/Lowrance TotalScan transducer mount, it appears that the Hobie PA hull on each side of the Totalscan mount blocks the horizontal view of the StructureScan near the surface. This might result in dark areas near the edges of the StructureScan side images.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My Humminbird 768 displays the battery voltage too.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

kayakangler wrote:

Can you please post a few StructureScan side images from your set up using the Hobie/Lowrance ready mount for the TotalScan transducer? I am curious if the StructureScan side images go fully to the edge for wide scans.

From some of the photos I have seen with the new Hobie/Lowrance TotalScan transducer mount, it appears that the Hobie PA hull on each side of the Totalscan mount blocks the horizontal view of the StructureScan near the surface. This might result in dark areas near the edges of the StructureScan side images.

Thanks!

I can capture some images using Lowrance GoFree on my iPhone, but I am not sure what your asking for. What do you mean by wide scans, side left, right or both? Or are you talking distance from the kayak?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
My Humminbird 768 displays the battery voltage too.

I am interested to see how accurate it is... I started today with my Lowrance showing 12.3v on my battery, and ended with 11.8v. I also just installed the second battery tray on the sail post. It's nice how well it fits... going to be wiring it in parallel tomorrow when some new SAE connectors are delivered. You have to love Sunday delivery from Amazon.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just made the following measurement on my system using a 3 1/2 digit DVOM.

Fully charged Hobie SLA battery, open circuit was 12.80 V DC.
After unplugging the display, I measured the same exact voltage at the base, DC input to my Humminbird 768 with the power off.

I turned on my fish finder and the voltage displayed on the screen was 12.50 V DC.
I then measured the voltage at the battery terminals and found it to read 12.53 V DC.....difference was 30 millivolts.
Conclusion is the Humminbird fish finder voltage display is very accurate.

For the record, my PA-14 battery is located in the aft round hatch and the wire I used is AWG-16......length of each power wire is about 8 feet.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There's going to be a difference in measurements under load vs. no load.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is what my reading show.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

STLKayak wrote:
kayakangler wrote:

Thanks!

I can capture some images using Lowrance GoFree on my iPhone, but I am not sure what your asking for. What do you mean by wide scans, side left, right or both? Or are you talking distance from the kayak?

Sorry for the confusion (I am very familiar with Humminbird which use the term "Side Imaging" vs Lowrance "StructureScan" Left/Right). I am interested in the side imaging capabilities of the TotalScan transducer mounted on the Hobie PA using the new Lowrance mount you have. In particular, how well does it work as you scan a farther distance from the kayak to either side or both [say up to the max 300ft each side (455khz)/ 100ft (800Khz)]. Does the image on the Elite 7Ti screen for side imaging of relatively flat lake bottom extend all the way to the edge of the screen, or does it get dark as you go further in distance because of the more horizontal side imaging beams being blocked by the PA hull on each side (not dark because the lake floor is dropping in depth as you go farther distance to either/both sides).

I was thinking you could do a screen capture as described on pg 24 of the Operators Manual (simultaneously press Pages and Power) or you can take a photo of the screen with your iPhone.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
Fully charged Hobie SLA battery, open circuit was 12.80 V DC.
After unplugging the display, I measured the same exact voltage at the base, DC input to my Humminbird 768 with the power off.

I turned on my fish finder and the voltage displayed on the screen was 12.50 V DC.
I then measured the voltage at the battery terminals and found it to read 12.53 V DC.....difference was 30 millivolts.

Okay, that explains a lot of things. I was expecting to see 12.80V on the Lowrance when I switched to a fully charged Battery, but I am reading 12.5 V on the Lowrance... I was thinking it was reading wrong, but sounds like it is right on the money.

Right now I have wireless and Bluetooth enabled on my 7 Ti, as I play around with the GoFree app. Thinking once that novelty wears of, I will shut both down, and that should save me a few amps.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

STLKayak wrote:
kayakangler wrote:

Thanks!

Found a few photos that show my concern with the side imaging quality using the Lowrance or BerleyPro TotalScan transducer mount for the Elite Ti series.

These photos are from the BerleyPro webpage (https://www.berleypro.com/tag/transducer/) of both a Lowrance Elite Ti and Humminbird Helix side imaging technology with transducers mounted in the "Lowrance" ready area. Notice that the side image only goes 10 to 20m on the display before shadow/darkening (not just due to the shoreline)

The BerleyPro site comments that they will need to lower the transducer "Overall the mount worked well. We are just making some final modifications to drop it a fraction lower to remove some of the shadow and then they will be ready!"

You can see below that while the TotalScan transducer is "protected" by the side hulls of the Hobie, that makes side imaging for the horizontal pulses very difficult to travel far. The TotalScan and also Humminbird side imaging transducer installation manual makes a point of having a clear unobstructed view to the side.

So I would like to see screen shots of the Lowrance Elite Ti using the TotalScan side imaging transducer showing being able to go more than 50ft to the side without shadows.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I wouldn't wire an old battery and a new battery in parallel depending on how different their capacities have become. You can ruin the batteries. Especially if you're going to charge them in parallel, but it seems like you aren't so perhaps its ok....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

article on wiring batteries in parallel:

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/e ... s-parallel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

This might be the right place to ask my Q.

I have a lowrance 7TI that I use in my boat and currently setting up the display unit to be transferrable to my Hobie Kayak. I need to buy another transducer for the kayak.
My Q is Is there any small transducer that fits inside hobie lowrance ready mount and compatible to this Lowrance 7TI?
It will be nice if you can provide the link to that ducer. thank you

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just about any Navico/Lowrance blue plug transducer will work with a 7-ti. As far as fitting your Lowrance ready Hobie kayak I believe the basic 50/200 455/800 will work. However, It's kind of a crappy transducer compared to modern Chirp transducers, but it will get the job done I suppose. The nice thing about kayaks is that you can use a shoot thru transducer (in-hull mount) without much if any loss of signal. Knowing this it opens the door to many different models of Airmar transducers. Check out the P75M and M135M. Those transducer will blow the doors off the stock 50/200 Lowrance transducer.

http://www.airmar.com/productinfo.html? ... ransducers