Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Flotation bags
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't dismiss a pool noodle because of the simple sounding name. They are far more reliable than any vinyl or plastic air filled bag. Pool noodles can't leak - they never lose their floatation ability. They won't break down. They create tremendous floatation, forever.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I use several pool noodles in all my SOTs. They stay to the sides and don't get in the way of any other gear. Also they displace a lot of water so there is less to deal with if swamped. I can add or subtract as needed. Just thread them in along the sides and done. They can not deflate.

Side note.
The Canyon Lake video is one of the my favorites.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... umkB_55NKM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Okay... I have a confession... The more I hear about pool noodles on this forum, the more I'm being won-over to their graces. It's just that I've seen a lot of improvised gear that didn't work out so well for the poor souls who relied on it. Perhaps this has made me overly suspicious, as I find that the older I get, the harder my safety-related habits are to change. Maybe I'll go pick up a couple noodles & start experimenting with 'em.

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Beautiful lake. Looks like an ideal place to sail.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

georeubs wrote:
I have one of the early TI's that didn't include foam. One of the first things I did was to install NRS float bags inside the bow and stern. Both bags are clipped in so they're secure but easy to remove. I've never had a problem with interference of rudder lines, nor have I had any issues with storage at either end of the hull.

I read all the posts above and was impressed with some of the math that others have done, and many suggestions are great ideas. Nonetheless, I simply feel more secure on the water with the purpose-built flotation bags.

I was in a search and rescue helocopter squadron in the U.S. Navy, and one thing I learned is that water is absolutely unforgiving. As such, I'd never trust my life to simply cramming a pool noodle into the hull. You spent a LOT of money on the boat. A few more bucks for two flotation bags won't break the bank.

Good advice I think, and for the type of use I am doing storage is not too much of an issue. My flotation bags are in and so far no issues.

Many thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

georeubs wrote:
Nonetheless, I simply feel more secure on the water with the purpose-built flotation bags.
Bump!

Got the part about pool noodles not looking so bad.

But has anybody got a set of bags that fit their AI2 bow-and-stern?

If so, what make/model and how do you make them stay in place?

On my AI2 the rudder lines seem to be encased in poly tubing so I am thinking that the rub/wear factor would be nil and that a bag in the stern could just be blown up enough to float, but not enough to pinch the poly tubing..... the remaining factor being how to keep the bag from migrating forward.

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was the one who swamped his AI when fully loaded with camping equipment. You can read about it here
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=180
Scroll down until you come to the story entitled: Chokoloskee to Flamingo, Jan 16-23, 2012 An Inauspicious Beginning: One Sunken AI, One Empty Bottle of Scotch

During that episode, I never felt in danger of sinking. I do not have any of the original flotation foam in my boat(s). I need the room for my camping gear.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have swamped our TI several times now, we still have the original flotation foam inside the hull. With the AMA's on there are really no problems, even if the hull is almost full , the boat stays upright and level, to pump it out you may have to get out of the boat though and pump while in the water next to the boat until you get at least some of the water out.
The only time in my opinion that you need better flotation (mostly in the bow area), is when in kayak mode. What happens is the rear of the boat stays afloat, but the bow sinks like a rock, and becomes extremely heavy, near impossible to lift in deeper water. At least that's our experience.
By adding a few pool noodles in the bow area this seems to make it a little easier to recover from a swamped boat.
Pretty much every time we have swamped ours, we accidentally left hatches open, or the one time we swamped while running mild rapids (huron river in Ann Arbor MI) we had a hatch open to retrieve a camera, then got sideways, then tipped while the boat was trapped against a couple really big boulders, and the water rushed into the open hatch. (we were in kayak mode). The bow sunk to the bottom, and was very difficult to get the boat out of there.
Of course it works best if you don't forget to close your hatches. Even when very full of water, the boat pedals fine, just very slow. I now always keep at least a couple pool noodles in the bow area (cheap insurance), plus we use them when at the sand bars hangin out.

Hope this helps
FE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
...we swamped while running mild rapids (huron river in Ann Arbor MI) we had a hatch open to retrieve a camera, then got sideways, then tipped while the boat was trapped against a couple really big boulders, and the water rushed into the open hatch. (we were in kayak mode). The bow sunk to the bottom, and was very difficult to get the boat out of there....

Hope this helps
FE

Wow, FE, that is really dangerous to people and boat. Lucky you didn't wrap your TI hull right around one of those boulders! (Or pin you or your passenger between the boulder and the boat. Potentially deadly.)

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

georeubs wrote:
....early TI's that didn't include foam. One of the first things I did was to install NRS float bags inside the bow and stern. Both bags are clipped in so they're secure but easy to remove.
How did you clip them in?

I am coming around to the idea put forward by most that a swamped hull with amas in place is not as big a deal as I thought it would be.

That being said....

I have a couple of decent-sized dry bags that somebody gave me and I am starting to load one of them up with empty 1-liter bottles.

For the bow, this seems to work well because the top of the dry bag crams nicely into the tapered portion of the hull while the rest of the bag's diameter is a pretty good match for the hull's ID - and the bag is soft enough that I can slide the Mirage Drive's flippers underneath it if/when I want to store the Mirage Drive up there.

But it would be nice to make that bag stay crammed forward in the bow instead of drifting backwards to where it's floatation might push the fore hatch open if there were enough water in the hull.

So... how did you secure yours?

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can understand how purpose built flotation bags might build confidence, but I won't look down on pool noodles as perfectly safe alternatives.

In the bow, I have three noodles cut in half and ziptied together. I have six more threaded along the hull, held in place by scuppers etc.

These can't be punctured, can't move around, and make my TI usable (with difficulty I admit) even when swamped.

Its not the money, but I seriously question whether flotation bags would be any better.